Cider sulfur bomb.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedrunkdutchman

Reaction score
So I tried to make my first cider a couple of months back and after a few days it smelled like someone put 20 stink bombs in my bedroom (the coldest room in my house at that time). It was so bad that I slept on the couch for 3 nights. I would like to try again but I'm a little scared. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the sulfur smell?

it goes away when it's done, i'm fermenting a cider now, sulphur a few days ago, almost completely gone now....

Different yeasts have different nutrient reqs. What yeast are you using?

So I tried to make my first cider a couple of months back and after a few days it smelled like someone put 20 stink bombs in my bedroom (the coldest room in my house at that time). It was so bad that I slept on the couch for 3 nights. I would like to try again but I'm a little scared. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the sulfur smell?
For what it’s worth,
My bedroom always smells like 20 stink bombs.

Sulfur is normal. Add some yeast nutrient, and maybe try a different yeast. Some yeasts stink worse than others. Do you know what yeast you used? I don't sleep with my cider but I use Cote des Blancs and it never *seems* to stink as bad as some others I've tried (and I've tried many). And in any case, it always ages out after a month or three.

That means the yeast are stressed. Always rehydrate yeast according to the package, ferment at the appropriate temperature, and make sure the yeast have plenty of nutrients. Happy yeasties ferment cleanly and stink free.

I sleep with my beer. Sometimes.
The master bedroom is one of the best insulated rooms in the house and keeps a fairly constant temperature. We keep it cool and it stays within a few degrees of 60F during the winter. I don't like keeping a carboy in the kitchen where it might be disturbed.

The first and only one I ever made was a cyser (Apple mead) that I had in my bedroom. It made my room smell like honey and apples for a few days, along with spraying apple juice everywhere from the amount of foaming and bubbling it did. But it never smelled like sulfur. I used D47 and a full dose of wine nutrients.

Back