Cider recipe with amber DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alchemedes

Reaction score
I previously found a lot of information on doing sweeter ciders by using a dry (powdered) amber DME; however, I seem to NOT be able to find too much information on this idea now - must not have bookmarked it and my search skills just aren't working today.

I recall reading that the result of using malt vs normal sugars in a cider yields a smoother, sweeter cider that has 'more body.' Anyone with good info on that topic? Perhaps something along the lines of what this guy did: http://ryanbrews.blogspot.com/2010/11/malt-cider-sweetish-hombrew-cider-with.html

I want to do my 2nd batch of sweet cider, but this time around I want to use amber malt extract with hopes of better results. I supposes where most of my confusion lies is in how much DME to use in a 1.gal batch of cider, and exactly how does one go about hydrating the malt powder into a syrup before putting it in the fermenter (I'm still new at some of this stuff). Also wondering if you would use real sugars along the DME.

Any advice, links, recipes would be a great help.

Back