Cider newbie questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil74501

Reaction score
I'm wanting to make some cider. Never done it before.

Do you use the same equipment that you use to ferment beer and wine?

I'm going to try a Brewers Best Cider House kit. Are those any good?

Do you need to carbonate it? Or is it fine the way it is when it's done?

I'm wanting to make some cider. Never done it before.

Do you use the same equipment that you use to ferment beer and wine?

I'm going to try a Brewers Best Cider House kit. Are those any good?

Do you need to carbonate it? Or is it fine the way it is when it's done?

Same equipment, never used any kits before. You don't usually carbonate cider, maybe try to carbonate your second batch? In my opinion carbonation makes things better.

Did you read the sticky at the top of the forum?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=508303
Cider is a lot like wine. You can use a kit, but most people just buy apple juice with no preservatives (Vit C is OK) and add a few nutrients (optional) and yeast. Juice that is clear in the bottle doesn't need much else. If it's cloudy, then pectic enzyme is in order. If it's raw (not pasteurized) then add Campden. Don't cook it if you can avoid it!

You can add additional sugar (brown or white,) or Frozen AJ concentrate (FAJC) or honey, in which case the nutrients are a good idea. Yeast can be an ale yeast like S04 or Nottingham, or you can use a wine yeast, or a true cider yeast.

The whole discussion of how to finish (Dry-carbed, Dry-still, Sweet-still or Sweet-carbed) is a whole different issue - Sweet-carbed is the most difficult.

Back