Cider fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyacovett

Reaction score
I made a batch of cider the other day. 5 gallons of apple juice/cider, a lb of turbinado and about a half lb of honey. I pitched some notty (the "bad" lot). Fermentation took off in a few hours. It has been chugging along at 66 for 4 days now. Gravity is down from 1.059 to 1.026 last time I checked.

Here is the question:
I have a brew lined up for tomorrow. I only have room for 1 bucket in my ferm chamber. Would I do too much harm if I take the cider out and let it finish up at ambient temp of 75 or so?

I think you'll probably be fine. Given your current fermentation rate you'll be below 1.020 tomorrow I bet, so the majority of the fermentation will be over with (and thus most of the risk of off flavors).

I'd just leave it in the ferm chamber right up until you pitch the yeast in the new brew.

I think you'd be fine. I've only made cider a couple of times (I'm drinking a fine Motts 2010 right now ;)) but I do know that some flavors that would be considered "off" in beer actually fit cider quite nicely. I fermented my ciders at room temp and they came out fine. It's a very forgiving beverage. The only tricky thing about it is the sugars tend to get fully eaten by the yeast and you usually end up with a 1.000 or less cider. I sorbate, backsweeten and then keg.

Back