Cider color question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honreth

Reaction score
I am wanting to kick up a cider with a dark red color but am not quite looking at making a Graff at this time... I'm not a big fan of cherry flavor but would like to avoid just cheapening out with food coloring.

I was wondering if anyone had tried using rose-hips in a cider as I have seen this done with mead before.

Any ideas?

I haven't done this, but am throwing this thought out there: lot of red fruit teas use hibiscus flowers, which you can probably find dry. They have a really tart flavour that might come out in your cider, but then you'd be fermenting them, not brewing them. Rose hips are also quite tart, so they'd probably have similar issues.

Actually, if it's only colour you want, possibly a tiny bit of beetroot would give you a stain without impacting the flavour much? It's basically a dye, after all, and to me doesn't taste very strong. After a search I see some people make beetroot wine!

How about Rooibos? Make a strong infusion separately, and add to taste/color at or near bottling. I've done that with black tea with good results.

Also, if you can find a shop heavy into wine making, they might be able to get red grape skins all by themselves. You could also get very dark red or black grapes at a grocery store or farmers market and squeeze and pasteurize the skins. Most of the color from red or rosé wine comes from contact with the skins. If you go with the skin method, do it in a clear container. It doesn't take long to get noticeable color.

If you can find them, you might try red fleshed apples:
http://www.google.com/#bav=on.2,or.&fp=6dfa548d693dee7a&q=red+flesh+apple

You could also try adding pomegranate, raspberry, black cherry, red fleshed plum, or even beet juice; yes beet juice. You should be able to find dried elderberries or even eldrberry extract at your LHBS, elderberries alone might do exactly what you want.

mysteryshrimp had a good idea with the grape skins, if you have access to fresh grapes, I'd go with concord, simply because the skin slips off so easily & is very dark.
Regards, GF.

Thanks every. Didn't get my cider after all (I hate them pesky bills) but I will try again soon.

I know you weren't able to get the cider, but when you do, I would consider using another fruit to get the red colour. Strawberries, raspberries, cranberries, and pomegranates would all give a nice colour to your brew. They will impart some flavour to your cider, but if you aren't using food colouring, then just about anything will add its own flavour. Beets is also a popular way to add natural colour, but that one was already suggested.

Good luck!

please please please, don't use concord grapes. They will leave that concord foxy flavor in the drink you make. Especially in cider, I'd imagine that it would be way overpowering.

Back