Cider Calculator ABV Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acemannw

Reaction score
OK here is my math problem.

Norm has 9 gallons of Cider brewing. It started at 1.08 and will ferment till it is at 1.00. Which should get me an ABV of 10.50%

I am going to add 2 gallons of regular cider for flavoring and some sweetness to this batch. My Question is what would be the final ABV be for the entire 11 gallon batch?

Rough math would be to cut the ABV by 20% but it feels like that would be off a bit.

If you allow the fresh juice to ferment out completely, then the final gravity will be closer to 9.7-9.8%, depending on the original gravity of the new juice, unless you add enough sugar to bring the new juice to 1.080 when adding it, then you could maintain 10.5%.

If you kill off the yeast and do NOT allow the additional juice to ferment at all, then you will have even less, closer to 8.5% or so.

If it partially ferments, it will be in the mid 9% area.

Cheers.

I wasn't a math major but i did sleep at Holiday.... Oh, never mind.
The adding for flavor and sweetness idea has to go out the window unless you plan to prevent further fermentation.Stopped fermentation will give you between 8.5% and 8.9% ABV. Is this what you are asking?

Back