Chugger vs March / center inlet vs inline

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasty_rabbit

Reaction score
I'm finally going to get my first real pump and am looking for opinions, pro and con, as to what direction to go. Currently I BIAB and am very satisfied with this method. My application would consist pre boil of 70% strike water mash then transfer the 30% balance over the suspended bag to rinse. Post boil would be whirl pool during cooling and then transfer to primary. Camlocks, tubing and the like will come after the decision is made on the pump but for now I'm at a loss as to which pump to choose.

Just purchased a Chugger center inlet a few days ago, patiently awaiting its arrival. Went with chugger more so for the price and the stainless steel head, plus the reviews have all been good for Chugger. Did some research, the center inlet gets a little more flow rate over the inline. The wort returns directly into the impaler instead of making a 90 degree angle for the inline, plus the inlet is larger in the center than the inline. Just what I found.

Just purchased a Chugger center inlet a few days ago. Went with chugger more so for the price and the stainless steel head, plus the reviews have all been good for Chugger. Did some research, the center inlet gets a little more flow rate over the inline. So the wort returns directly into the impaler instead of making a 90 degree angle for the inline, plus the inlet is larger in the center than the inline. Just what I found.

I agree........ all centrifugal pumps are center inlet in reality. The sharp change in direction of an "inline" pump is just one more place to have problems, particularly with hot wort. "Inline" is in reality a misnomer. The best inlet is the shortest, largest, and straightest.

H.W.

I have a SS Inline Chugger and it's awesome. I saved the money vs. a march, but upgraded to SS. Easy to clean and very reliable.

As far as inline or center not sure if their is a performance difference, but consider where your going to mount it or what your final set-up will be. For me (I have a single tier a one pump system) I needed the inline. Good luck!

I have a couple center inlet chugger pumps on my single tier stand. I brew at least 10 gallon batches with a whirlpool/bk combo. I have nothing but good to say about these pumps. They have proved very reliable and easy to prime. They pump fast and reliably. They also pump slow if I want...

I had a March Inline poly head pump on my last brew setup. It worked fine but I was adding a pump and wanted them to match so I sold the march and bought matching chugger pumps.

With a center inlet style pump you will gain about a 1/2 to 1 gpm more on the full rated output of the pump.....but that also depends on what kind of restriction the pump is working against. If you have a lot of fittings or filters or small line to push through it probably wont make any difference. There will be no difference in head height output...both will give the same pressure/head.
Is all boils down to whats best for your setup. Some people have to room to fit them other don't.. ;)

My setup has a full 1/2" ID through out the whole system. Each of the ports are blocked with a 316 stainless ball valve. The amount of fittings don't effect the pump. Right at 7 GPM.

My last stand had 3 March 815's, my current stand has 3 center inlet chuggers. I wish I still had my March pumps.

My last stand had 3 March 815's, my current stand has 3 center inlet chuggers. I wish I still had my March pumps.

Why? It seems that the consensus leans toward the chuggers. Operations appear about the same and price may be the only variable. What is lacking with the chuggers that you miss from the marches?

Reliability, I've had to replace the impeller on 2 of them and one of them needs the shaft that the impeller rides on. Also, I feel that the march had more flow.

I also do BIAB and use a chugger pump in my system similarly to how you describe.

Got it from AIH

SS center inlet, camlocks, silicone tubing.

I screwed it to a piece of wood and drilled a couple of holes to allow my plate chiller to slot into place.

Works well for me. There are more pictures of my setup in my thread below illustrating its use

Pump and chiller 2.jpg

I bought the 3/4" center inlet chugger thinking more input flow would be better, but it didn't matter in the end because even hooking it up with 1/2" chokes the pump when I try to run it wide open with a modest 4' climb.

I think the next one will be inline, for some reason I just picture this as easier to flush clean out without the pump running.

Tried a March pump, its motor didn't survive a 3' drop. I don't suspect the Chugger build is much better in terms of dropability, but I see more problems here with the March in that regard.

Back