Chugger Pump Differences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigChas

Reaction score
Now that the Chugger pumps are back in stock, I have a question concerning the differences in the two inline models offered. Other than looks and the possibility of cross threading, is there enough difference in performance or durability to warrant spending the additional $40 for the SS head as opposed to the PP head.

p p head... Sorry. SWIMBO always says how immature I am. I'd go stainless. At least that's what I'm planning on. I only want to buy it once.

For the $40 i'd go stainless...even if they are our competition! :D
It will prevent those times when it breaks due to an "accident" like what happened about a year ago when i got a pump back from a customer and they stated that the fitting broke off when his wife "accidently" dropped a hammer on the pump! LMAO :D

Glad to See we have the Support of March!!! Walter let me know if you guys want to buy some heads!!!!

I wouldnt go as far as saying "support" ;) he was mearly asking which he should buy since its clear from his posting he is considering either one from your lineup.

As for buying pump heads....they were exploring that idea for a large OEM of ours...but they have gone the route of wanting an aluminum head now and are funding the tooling for it so that door i believe is closed... :(

you guys should both lower your prices so you both can be more competitive with one another :D

Our Stainless Pump is lower priced than their Plastic! Our Plastic Pump is $99.00...$50 lower!!

Were talking about the plastic pump...in which the molds and Engineering costs were paid for 30 Years ago!

This post started about Chugger and Walter Chimed In to self Promote... not me ..Your China numbers are inaccurate..they are very fair to a majority of their employees..we would never support poor working conditions and inspect all facilities where our parts are mfg.

This has been both fascinating and entertaining! I personally thought Walter and chugger were being good sports ;)

I chimed in to self promote? where? the OP was asking which chugger to go with and i told him to go with stainless. Where did i say anything about our product?

**"Were talking about the plastic pump...in which the molds and Engineering costs were paid for 30 Years ago!"***

And there is a perfect example of why distributors have no idea about manufacturing costs. How long do you think Molds last?? Ours last on average about 10yrs...sometimes for low production run versions we can streatch them out to 15 before they need MAJOR work if not completly replaced. We have TRIED the Chineese junk molds in the past....when we were looking to replace our biggest molds we were getting quotes in the US for anywhere from $70-100K for the job......China came in at $35k so we we made a deal that we would pay 1/4 of the tooling costs upfront and the balance if they were done correctly. Needsless to say after 6 months of screwing around with warped parts, others not fitting properly....and them re-doing the molds 3x we cut our losses and went with a US firm....and as usual it was done right the first time!

Call me anytime...would love to discuss further ...800-810-1053...I know you wont call ..just putting it out there!

FYI...I lived in Hong Kong for 3 years!!! I am a partner in 3 other companies in China and we own a factory in Xiamen!! Spent 65 Days there in 2011

As for the American Pump..(90% of the parts are made in Mexico and China)

Yes we took a pump and made it better for the brewer! We increased the HP and redesigned the Head to help prevent caviation issues and made it affordable for any Brewer to use? What is wrong with that? Look for the new improved motor design late this year..Totally enclosed motor ...washdown duty !!

BTW we are devoted to saving the Brewer some cash with a good product!

I think competition keeps companies honest and creative. I like the spirit between these guys, you should be passionate about your products...

The way this thread is starting to turn, I am starting to regret ever asking the question in the first place. Walter is the only one that has even a relevant answer to my orginal question, and I thank him for that.

Pretty obvious that stainless won't be prone to cracking if dropped or torqued. If you realize the limits of the material you can treat it appropriately and get years out of it.

Personally I enjoyed reading this discussion and am glad it occurred. I learned something about the products being offered.

Do you even need to ask if you need plastic or stainless? It seems like a question only you could answer? Obviously, most prefer stainless. How is your money situation? That would be more telling than anything else... Stainless is better, plastic will work but not forever. Buy what you can afford.

Good for you Mr. Altruistic. You took an American pump, reverse engineered it (AKA stole the design) and had China make replicas so you could make money off it. Yay, you are my freaking hero!

I am glad someone said it.

Or you can go with a Little Giant... I love mine. So much quieter than March and I can run it dry all day long.

Back