Christmas mild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eelgerg

Reaction score
Hello,

I've just brewed a 11G batch of Orfy's mild Mannered Ale, and am interested in splitting it into two batches - one keg of the usual, the other keg I'd like to spice it up in an xmas style with orange, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.

Problem is my fermentation is done - 3 weeks in the primary. I'm ready to keg.

Question:

Can I drain 1/2 of the 11g fermenter as the 'usual' batch and keg it, then add the spices and let that sit for another week? Or will that risk contaminating the batch? Or would you actually sanitize that mix? (Boil it in some canned wort for 20 mins)??

Or could I just keg it with a Muslim bag filled with the spice mixture?

Ideas?

Put the spices in some rum or other spirit you have at hand. Use very little spice as they can easily overcome a mild. And yes, keg the standard mild and let sit the spiced mild for a week or so after adding the 'sanitised' spices.

I would second that advice. I mixed the spices for my Christmas brew in vodka. I like this method because I can add as much or as little to the finished beer as I'd like. Easier to dial it in that way.

Obviously you just add one whole cinnamon, while cloves. Nutmeg whole? Can't imagine adding powder this way........

And my orange is an "orange extract" - plan to just add a few drops to the keg

Latest posts

Back