Christmas Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BayAreaBrewer

Reaction score
My first post ever! I've been signed up since May 2016 which is also when I started brewing.

I need a suggestion / recommendation on what to brew this weekend in anticipation of my family coming down for Christmas. I'm in Tampa, FL and my parents are in Pennsylvania. Being from Pennsylvania, we all drink Yuengling a lot. However, it's a lager and I don't have a lager timeframe (I'm going to brew on December 4 and they'll be here December 24). I have enough time to do a two week fermentation and a week in the bottle.

I currently have an Irish Ale and an Irish Porter in fermentation (five gallons each). The Irish Porter is temperature controlled with a BrewJacket (which is awesome, btw) and will likely turn out great (OG was slightly higher than anticipated, came in at 1.064). I had a boilover with the Irish Ale :( and the OG was 1.028 instead of the potential 1.054 as a result. So who knows what'll happen with that one. It is not temperature controlled, I have it in a carboy in a closet and used Hot Head Ale. I'm experimenting with it to see how it turns out at room temperature (~70 Fahrenheit0. Both of those batches will be bottled on December 4 as well.

I need a suggestion on something to complement the Irish Porter. I need something that, frankly, can be consumed throughout the day. My most recent batch was a black IPA which tastes great (at least to me) but is very hoppy. It's not the kind of beer you can starting drinking at 11:00am (don't judge, it's Christmas vacation :mug: ) and will still be enjoying at 10:00pm. While I think the porter will be great I don't think it'll be appreciated throughout the day either. It may be a 'good start' beer for 2-3 but then we'll want to switch to something else.

Final / random thoughts, my first batch ever (I've only made four total including the two in the buckets right now) was a nut brown ale that I didn't particularly enjoy. I think it came out alright, just wasn't my favorite tasting. My brother (who will be in attendance) likes New Castle though. I'd be OK with a 'water' beer clone or something similar (Bud, Miller, Coors, etc.) but only because it's for my family who aren't necessarily 'beer enthusiasts'. We have an excellent brew supply store in Tampa where I can get practically anything by way of ingredients. Whatever I decide on, it'll be milled Saturday night and everything will be nice and fresh.

So, what would you brew?

I think you timeline is too tight 1week bottled is gonna be a really green tasting beer. I wish you luck.

Thanks toga, those both look good. Especially the centennial blonde due to the timeframe. I appreciate it!

Centennial Blonde or Cream of 3 Crops are probably your best bets for quick turn around and general/non craft beer crowd pleasing, drink all day beers. Toga linked the Centennial Blonde, Cream of 3 Crops is in the recipe section here on HBT. Good Luck.

I turned Yooper's fizzy yellow beer around in 17 days, was pretty good but really wanted longer. Keep that ABV at 5% or lower, pitch on the high side and use a starter if you can so the yeast are ready to go asap. From memory I bottled on day 9 or 10 after hitting FG on about day 4. Make sure you have a warm place to carb bottles as flat beer isn't that nice.

Back