Christmas Beer!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulgs3

Reaction score
I want to prepare for Christmas, but I have no idea what to brew. I have pipeline plans for the typical heavy IPA (SN celebration clone), I have Ó Flannagáin Standard ingredients en route.

I've been very conservative when it comes to christmas ales, I want to break that habit this year. Give me suggestions please! I was thinking something nutmeggy or hazelnut wiskey.... Somebody posted a pecan ale last year.....something different but something to really bring the glow to christmas dinner (6-8% abv?).

Suggestions?

We've got a robust vanilla porter in primary thats going to secondary with some Weller soaked oak chips in a couple weeks, should be ready by Christmas dinner. Spiced Christmas Ale is getting brewed as soon as AHS ships me the ingredients.

I am going to go with a pumpkin ale. Search pumpkin and you will find several recipes. Good luck.

Taypo said:
We've got a robust vanilla porter in primary thats going to secondary with some Weller soaked oak chips in a couple weeks, should be ready by Christmas dinner. Spiced Christmas Ale is getting brewed as soon as AHS ships me the ingredients.

Sounds great, I'm huntin for an Xmas brew that's on the gift level perhaps.... Recipe? 5gal....

Midwest's Happy Holiday Ale kit served me well last year. I have another batch in secondary right now (I brewed it about 2 months ago). I want to age the hell out of it, so I'm saving it for advent, but I brewed it in October last year, cracked the first one in mid-December, and still loved it.

Sounds great, I'm huntin for an Xmas brew that's on the gift level perhaps.... Recipe? 5gal....

Robust Vanilla Porter is straight out of Brewing Classic Styles. I'm sure the recipe is floating around online, I just dont know where - we bought the hard copy. While its in primary, we've got an ounce of light oak soaking in 16oz of Weller (real good mellow Bourbon at a decent price) and about an ounce of vanilla powder. Once primary is done, add the booze and wood to secondary and let it age for a couple more weeks. Bottle and wait for it to mellow. It may not be ready for Christmas, so dont blame me if you give away vanilla jet fuel to friends and family :)

Mmmmm Vanilla jet fuel :) Thinking about stayin with the house Kolsch and do a lil orange zest and maybe a touch of coriander. The Kolsch stands on it's own but this would punch it up a bit. I want to do the vanilla porter but probably for more of a pipeline beer.

Back