Christianity and home brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always noticed that Presbyterians are pretty laid back about this kind of stuff.

That depends on what kind of Presbyterian church/denomination you are talking about. Mine, the PCA, is very conservative, both in theology and moral practice. I am a pastor in it because of the theology, however, I am careful not to needlessly offend those who disagree.

This topic within the church is also like that of getting tattoos. If one reads the Bible in its full context...they will realize that alcohol and tattoos are not bad.

Yes! I think my brother and I forced our pastor father into being very accepting of such things. I'm sleeved out on both arms and legs, brew beer, and play on our churches worship team. My brother owns Fuzion Vapor, which is a pretty popular juice company for e-cigs.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I know multiple Christian pastors in Vermont who homebrew....but that's VT so take it with a grain of salt

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

This Summer we striped a church field for soccer and took a break from the heat. The pastor came out and had a cpl red solo cups from the growlers with us. Great guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm an elder in my church (LCMS), and Pastor is often leaning on us to each lead our own bible study. I have decided the only way I am willing to dedicate that chunk of my already-scarce time is if I can do a "Brothers, Bibles, and Brews" study. (I haven't seen any of our other elders leap into action on starting a study, so I'm not real worried about it).

Our last pastor and his wife, every year for certain services, would bake homemade unleavened bread and use that for communion instead of the traditional wafers. We always talked about getting together and making a batch of wine to go with it. Never got around to it.

I'm sure everyone here heard about the newspaper editor not too far from where I live. He's not exactly religious, but a couple years ago he decided to go on the monk's "beer only" diet for the entirety of Lent. Researched the dopplebock recipe they used, brewed up a couple batches of it to get him through the season. Figured out how much he could have at each "meal" to avoid intoxication. Wrote a book at the end of it, a very interesting read. "Diary of a Part Time Monk". If I remember right, there's a chapter devoted to the religion vs alcohol part - and he comes to the same conclusion many of us do here, that beer and wine are mentioned upwards of 200 times in the bible, and very few are negatively. He also had some research showing that many of the times that wine is not specifically mentioned, they are actually talking about beer.

I tend to agree with those who mention this being a great outreach program to get the message out to those who may not feel comfortable about going to church due to the normal percieved "church routine". One of the guys I know from the homebrewing club brews for his church and has gotten many of the younger folks in church and involved this way. Some lives have been changed in a very positive way.

The key to this hobby no matter where or how you do it, is to temper the hobby with the end result. If the hobby is turning your drinking enjoyment into a non-fun addiction, its a problem.

One of the Elders at my LCMS church started a 1st and 3rd Friday Men's Bible study at the Idaho Hop house here in Idaho. They serve a lot of micro brews. We all have a great time including our Pastor and he, like the rest of us, enjoys a nice cold beer. Always great times and learning.

I'm an elder in my church (LCMS), and Pastor is often leaning on us to each lead our own bible study. I have decided the only way I am willing to dedicate that chunk of my already-scarce time is if I can do a "Brothers, Bibles, and Brews" study. (I haven't seen any of our other elders leap into action on starting a study, so I'm not real worried about it).

In an earlier post, I mentioned a Bible study a friend of mine, a deeply-committed Christian, held at the apt. of a mutual friend who was not. It also included a few other guys who were marginal in their faith. This fellow did not go to church, so my friend took "church" to him, so to speak. After the study part, prayer, discussion, etc., they would order pizza and have a beer. It was a non-confrontational, familiar atmosphere for this guy and he enjoyed it and got a lot out of it. It became known as "P, B & J": Pizza, Beer and Jesus.

In an earlier post, I mentioned a Bible study a friend of mine, a deeply-committed Christian, held at the apt. of a mutual friend who was not. It also included a few other guys who were marginal in their faith. This fellow did not go to church, so my friend took "church" to him, so to speak. After the study part, prayer, discussion, etc., they would order pizza and have a beer. It was a non-confrontational, familiar atmosphere for this guy and he enjoyed it and got a lot out of it. It became known as "P, B & J": Pizza, Beer and Jesus.

That's the nice thins about 'US' Lutherans. We can still enjoy life and be very serious about our faith :)

Robin Williams was Lutheran, or "catholic light" as he called it. But the real truth of the matter is, beer was a far more common table drink in those days than wine, which was still very much a rich man's drink. Even Egyptian royalty had pitchers of beer at the table. They figured beer to be a gift of the gods. I'm sure we all agree they were right.

I am a christian , and a homebrewer. I , like some others here was brought up in a strict , no drinking , alcohol is a sin , home/church. Once I started reading and studying the bible myself , instead of relying on others to tell me what it says and what it means , I realized the bible does not say drinking is a sin , it basically only says drunkeness is. Alcoholism seems to be a common thread with many home brewers but that dont all of them are alcoholics. Just like obesity seems to be a common thread among many bakers.....that dont mean they are all obese.

One of the many arguements some members in my family have against drinking is the scripture that warns us not to be a stumbling block for others or have the appearance of evil ,....but when you actually get into the scriptures and study them its pretty clear that this "appearance of evil" or "stumbling block" they call drinking , if it exists , is caused by church doctrine and teaching of things not scriptural ....... thats a crazy situation since many call what we do sin , based on church doctrine ,....yet the scripture says Jesus made wine......traditional hebrew wine is potent stuff,....he made it for people to drink. Who then is the stumbling block ?....church doctrine.

I dont believe in church sponsored or sanctioned get togethers based on brewing or drinking though , that takes it a little too far. Not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic , but for sure every alcoholic had his first drink. What is harmless and healthy for some can be a lifetime of misery for others.....so I bevieve religion and alcohol dont mix.....better kept seperate.

interesting post fer sher....one of my biggest problems with church is the fact that beer is 75% of who I am and no matter how much I talk to someone at church, I feel awkward bringing up ANY topic other than sports or religion. So, how does one go about finding out if his fellow church peeps are into tasty beverages?

I don't know if it was already said, but Monday Night Brewing in Atlanta was started as a bible study.

Pint Size Bible Study here in Huntsville is at the Nook which has hundreds of beers.

Probably just an "opinion" , but if someone is serious about bible study then shouldnt that be the focus of the group or meeting ? I mean , if you want to be serious about it. Its just my own personal experience but anytime Ive ever tried to combine brewing or drinking with anything else it was futile....it just turned into a brewing/drinking party with no real emphasis on anything else. Im not trying to say it cant be done , and that socialization between like thinking people is important , I just personally would leave the "bible study or prayer" implication out of it and have plain old get togethers over a brew between brothers/sisters in the faith , or anyone else that wants to participate. I dont want to sound like I think its wrong to have "bible brews" , I just dont think its a positive thing to call it something that it usually isnt.

Yeah, it's interesting to note that the Bible says "be thee not drunk with wine", yet so many like the resulting feeling that that scripture gets lost easily. It's just trying to teach moderation. As does an old Arabic proverb about weed, " Kiff is like fire. A little warms, a lot burns". Same thing here. I've been cutting back & even stopped drinking vodka with my beer. Although I back-slid recently. have found a very interesting side effect of my home brews though. Some 5 weeks later, I'm still fighting this Bell's Palsy. The morning after I drink some home brews, the "2 face" effect of the malady is lessened a bit. So home brewed "live beer" can be a positive thing in my recent experiences. Kinda like the elderberry wine that cured wood's fever in Victorian times. So moderation & good brewing practices along with what's inherent in home brew can be a good thing as well as bad. It's as much in your head as in your bed, so to say.

interesting post fer sher....one of my biggest problems with church is the fact that beer is 75% of who I am and no matter how much I talk to someone at church, I feel awkward bringing up ANY topic other than sports or religion. So, how does one go about finding out if his fellow church peeps are into tasty beverages?

Invite a handful over and pop a beer open. Ask if anyone else wants one. That will weed out pretty fast who is in or out. If you get the OMG stare, you can strike that one off the beer buddy list.

Invite a handful over and pop a beer open. Ask if anyone else wants one. That will weed out pretty fast who is in or out. If you get the OMG stare, you can strike that one off the beer buddy list.

The joke among Mormons is that you can't have one over, they will drink all your beer. Always invite two of them and your beer will be safe...

I live in Ireland, hugely catholic country (in theory anyway) and mass was often traditionally followed by a few pints in the local pub here. In fact you'd be hard pushed to find a priest who doesn't enjoy a few pints too.

I never understood off shoots of Christianity that viewed drinking as wrong. There seems to be nothing in the bible to disparage drinking.

Probably just an "opinion" , but if someone is serious about bible study then shouldnt that be the focus of the group or meeting ? I mean , if you want to be serious about it. Its just my own personal experience but anytime Ive ever tried to combine brewing or drinking with anything else it was futile....it just turned into a brewing/drinking party with no real emphasis on anything else. Im not trying to say it cant be done , and that socialization between like thinking people is important , I just personally would leave the "bible study or prayer" implication out of it and have plain old get togethers over a brew between brothers/sisters in the faith , or anyone else that wants to participate. I dont want to sound like I think its wrong to have "bible brews" , I just dont think its a positive thing to call it something that it usually isnt.
Who is calling it anything it isn't? I think everyone here that has either done a beer & bible study, or has entertained the thought, has been very up-front about the meaning and intent. Yeah, if you say you're going to do a bible study, but in reality just sit at the bar, or in your basement and drink beer, then call it what it is.

But if you've got someone who is willing to put the effort into making sure it is well structured (or, even a team), there is no reason not to do so. Okay, so every time you've tried it, it's turned into a brewing/drinking party. It doesn't work for you and/or your social circles - that's fine. It works for other people.

And if the ability to spend an hour or so every now and then enjoying a beer with friends/associates is the ice-breaker that brings someone new into a bible study, I'm all for it.

I am a former pastor. I was just the officiant for the wedding of one of my churches elders kids. I also provided all the home brew for the rehearsal dinner!

Sorry, just whipping the dead horse here --- but, scripturally-speaking, like many have stated, the consumption of alcoholic beverage is not wrong. The purpose of beer or wine is to be drunk, not to get you drunk. The Bible study I referred to which included the availability of beer (and other beverages) along with something to eat after --- I repeat, AFTER --- the study was over, was meant to illustrate that beer can be included in the event, as long as "beer" itself isn't the main focus of the gathering. I know for a fact, these guys who met were first and foremost serious about their faith and learning about Jesus and a commited Christian life. A beer with their pizza didn't change that.

The beer-and-bible studies I've personally seen have almost all been outreach-based, at least in their initial iterations. Walk up to a group of hipsters and start talking about the Bible - good luck. Get a couple beers in with a group of hipsters and start waxing philosophical about the Bible - you're in.

Actually, getting at least a little bit drunk at a wedding feast was normal, and Jesus didn't seem to have a problem with it (see John 2:10)

I'm an elder in a tiny Southern Baptist church, and before I (or anyone) was elected to the position we had a lot of discussion about the qualifications for pastors, elders, and deacons in 2 Timothy chapter 3 (and Titus 1, I think.) We decided that drinking is not prohibited, but drunkenness is. In spite of this, my pastor asked me privately if I would be offended if the church asked me to give up alcohol. I told him I would be offended, but not greatly offended, and for the sake of the weaker brothers I would abide by the request until I finished out my 2-year term -- but then I would quietly not accept reelection. It hasn't come up again.

Needless to say, a homebrew club or ministry would go over like excrement in the punchbowl. OTOH, a shooting club would probably be just fine. ;) Don't know about dancing...

Just to throw my two cents in, I understand that there are some Christian denominations that preach no alcohol. I was raised Presbyterian and our Communion was always Welch's Grape Juice and little cubes of Wonder Bread. My parents weren't big drinkers...a Christmas or New Year party. As time passed, my mother enjoyed wine more. There was nothing particularly positive or negative for me, regarding alcohol. I do, however, personally believe that alcohol is positively regarded in the Bible and I feel no prohibition is suggested. I'm not an alcoholic, so I'm good with my choices. I'm also okay with those who don't want to partake...their choice. I did run across a whining internet troll who hijacked a perfectly nice man's Youtube video on making wine at home. The troll took over his comments section with admonitions against alcohol, accusations that we are all drug abusers, and other similar inflammatory statements. She claims to be Mormom and I think that is the basis for her claims. I don't know much about the specific teachings of Mormonism and have nothing against Mormons...I just hope this troll is an exception, not the rule, with how they address use of alcohol. Having someone berate me and others for not agreeing with HER opinion just pisses me off.

^ Gotta agree with ya there. Like my 9th grade math teacher's slogan above the chalk board, " Do your own thing, but don't stop me from doing mine". And on that note, is it a Christian thing to do to teach my son to make his own beer? He grows ghost chilies, scorpion peppers & the like & wants to make a chili beer. I told him to check us out here. I also told him I have plenty of fermenters & equipment he can use to brew it up. I think it's a good thing to pass on life skills to one's children, also being Roman Catholic. What say you?

Weren’t the roots of Prohibition based on the moral conflict between religious groups and the alcohol related industries? The southern states' blue laws were purposely enacted to prevent church goers from going to church intoxicated. Alcoholism is a problem but drinking in moderation is not.

.... The troll took over his comments section with admonitions against alcohol, accusations that we are all drug abusers, and other similar inflammatory statements. She claims to be Mormom and I think that is the basis for her claims. I don't know much about the specific teachings of Mormonism and have nothing against Mormons...I just hope this troll is an exception, not the rule, with how they address use of alcohol. Having someone berate me and others for not agreeing with HER opinion just pisses me off.

You could always ask her to explain how magnets work.... :D

I haven't read the entire thread here but will post a quote from antiquity!

"Man is not defiled by that which goes into the mouth, but rather by that which comes out."

Talking about food I believe but somewhat appropriate here.

Weren’t the roots of Prohibition based on the moral conflict between religious groups and the alcohol related industries? The southern states' blue laws were purposely enacted to prevent church goers from going to church intoxicated. Alcoholism is a problem but drinking in moderation is not.

Religious groups did get involved, but the women got together against sexually transmitted diseases being brought home after also gambling away the families money in the saloons. The bars at that time were tied houses. Tied to the brewery that paid to have them built. The guy that ran the bars didn't make much, so they resorted to gambling & prostitution. The women decided they'd had enough & state by state pushed for prohibition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back