Choosing equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkuchta

Reaction score
I am planning on starting to brew at home and brewing my 1st batch this weekend. My question is I only have an 8 quart stock pot so should I do 1 or 2 gallon batches until I can purchase a larger pot? Also if I do 1 or 2 gallon batches can I use a larger brewing bucket? So that when I do get a larger pot I don't have to purchase new buckets?

Yes you certainly can use bigger buckets than your batch calls for. As far as what size batches to start with, I would say you could squeeze a 2 gallon batch into that pot if you plan to use ice to cool your wort, and count that in as part of your total water volume.

8 qt is a bit small for your boil pot. But since you're first starting off, I would just recommend being careful about how much water you use/ keep on eye on the pot when you're reaching boil (as it has a tendency to really foam up).

All extract recipes that you see are designed for the typical homebrew batch size, which is 5 gallons. One tip I used a lot when I was extract brewing was to have a lot of ice in the fermentor when you pour your boiled off extract. That immediately cools your wort so you're ready to pitch. I'd say the main equipment you should have when you start your first batch is a fermenting pale (at least 7 gallon capacity), autosyphon, and bottling supplies (bottle filler, caps, capper).

This is just one example of the beginner kits around:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...arter-kits/essential-brewing-starter-kit.html

Congrats on taking the plunge and enjoy your first homebrew! Here's one example of an adequate beginner how to:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll just state that you can get a 8 gallon Aluminum "tamale steamer" pot from Walmart and some Target stores for about $25-30.

Its a cheap way to easily do 5 gallon batches so you can properly use recipe kits to start.

You can brew small batches just fine. But kits are made for 5 gallons, so no problem if you buy separate ingredients, but if you buy kits you will have to scale that down before you start.

And you can use large buckets for small batches, just don't secondary in them. With secondary there is a whole lot of headspace and you might not get all of the air out (Like you would during primary). That air can cause oxidation in the finished beer.

Maybe check the local recyclers, if you have one, for larger glass containers, like gallon wine jugs, to secondary in?

Latest posts

Back