Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtwdonald

Reaction score
Hello,
I’m just looking for some advice. I’m going to brew the following stout next week. I’m wondering how much cocoa powder I should add to the boil, and for how long? I’m thinking 3oz for the last 5 minutes?
Thanks in advance.

Basic Information
Batch Name: Chocolate stout
Brewed By: RyeGuy
Style: Oatmeal Stout
Batch Size: 11.50 L
Boil Time: 45 min
Initial Boil Volume: 16.0 L
Mash Method: All Grain
Brew Date: 3/1/18
My Rating: 0/10

Typical Style Characteristics
Style: Oatmeal Stout
O.G. 1.045 - 1.065
F.G. 1.010 - 1.018
ABV 4.2 - 5.9
IBU 25 - 40
SRM 22 - 40°L
Color

Calculated & Measured Statistics
Calculated O.G. 1.052 (72% Efficiency)
Calculated F.G. 1.014 (72% Yeast Attenuation)
Measured O.G. 0.000 (0% Actual Efficiency)
Measured F.G. 0.000 (0% Actual Attenuation)
ABV 5.0%
IBU 32.1
SRM 36.6°L
Color

Malt Bill
Malt Name Weight PPG SRM Type
2-Row Malt - 2.0°L 5.00 lbs 1.038 2.00 Mashed Grain
Chocolate Malt - 350°L 0.50 lbs 1.028 350.00 Mashed Grain
Flaked Oatmeal– 1°L 0.25 lbs 1.032 1.00 Mashed Grain
Roasted Barley - 550°L 0.25 lbs 1.025 550.00 Mashed Grain

Mash Rest Profile
Rest Temperature Time Type Details
BIAB - Remove grain from mash and begin boil.

Hop Bill
Hop Name Time Added Weight AA% Type
Goldings (U.S.) 45 min 1.25 oz 5.0% Pellet Hop

Yeast Details
Yeast Strain Quantity Attenuation Flocculation
Safale US-05 Fermentis Dry Ale 72 Low– Medium

Dates
3/1/18 Brew Date

Notes
Add 3pz cocoa powder at 5 minutes

Exported from Fermenticus Brew Log v2.6, 3/7/18

Sent from my iPhone

I’ve made a 2.5G (about 9.5L) batch twice. The first time I used 3.5 oz unsweetened cocoa powder with 10 mins left in a 60 min boil. The second time I used 4oz because I wanted to increase the chocolate flavor a bit. The second batch had more chocolate flavor, but I also added cocoa nibs soaked in vodka both times to the primary fermenter after active fermentation, using more the second time around. So it was probably a combo of the two things that added more chocolate.

I made a chocolate stout in December and added 1 cup of unsweetened Cocoa, mine was organic Cocoa.
Added last 15 minutes of the boil
Tapped keg at the weekend for friends and family and they loved it, nice chocolate flavor and not too bitter nor harsh

I made a chocolate stout in December and added 1 cup of unsweetened Cocoa, mine was organic Cocoa.
Added last 15 minutes of the boil
Tapped keg at the weekend for friends and family and they loved it, nice chocolate flavor and not too bitter nor harsh

Thanks, How big of a brew was it?

I’ve made a 2.5G (about 9.5L) batch twice. The first time I used 3.5 oz unsweetened cocoa powder with 10 mins left in a 60 min boil. The second time I used 4oz because I wanted to increase the chocolate flavor a bit. The second batch had more chocolate flavor, but I also added cocoa nibs soaked in vodka both times to the primary fermenter after active fermentation, using more the second time around. So it was probably a combo of the two things that added more chocolate.

Thanks, I might up it to 4oz then.

Here's a picture of the brew. Hope this works
IMG_0010.JPG

I've used coca powder in the boil for chocolate stouts. Primary fermentation, particularly the krausen, smelled amazing. Didn't get much chocolate flavor into the final product. It wasn't much cocoa powder, though.

Cocoa nibs are pretty good.

I am drinking,right now, my chocolate cream stout, 3 gallons made with around 8 oz cocoa powder last 10 minutes of the boil 6-7oz of roasted cacao nibs that had been soaked in bourbon tossed in the keg bourbon and all, 6.5 + % of I am calling it Cookoo for Cocoa Beer!!!!#!:ban:

I’ve made something similar... but next time, like others in this thread - I’ll add more cocoa and... toasted coconut :yes:

Malt Bill
Malt Name Weight PPG SRM Type
2-Row Malt - 2.0°L 5.00 lbs 1.038 2.00 Mashed Grain
Chocolate Malt - 350°L 0.50 lbs 1.028 350.00 Mashed Grain
Flaked Oatmeal– 1°L 0.25 lbs 1.032 1.00 Mashed Grain
Roasted Barley - 550°L 0.25 lbs 1.025 550.00 Mashed Grain

Sent from my iPhone

I made a Chocolate Milk Stout (Similar to the Lefty's Clone here) about 6 weeks ago and tapped into it last night. The grain bill was very close to what you had except last minute, I doubled the chocolate malt. Holy crap, it was great.

Attachments

• image1 (1).jpeg
    image1 (1).jpeg
    46.4 KB · Views: 107
I made a Chocolate Milk Stout (Similar to the Lefty's Clone here) about 6 weeks ago and tapped into it last night. The grain bill was very close to what you had except last minute, I doubled the chocolate malt. Holy crap, it was great.

Looks good, mines still in the primary. What did you use for chocolate additions? And when did you add them?

Looks good, mines still in the primary. What did you use for chocolate additions? And when did you add them?
So I actually did not do any chocolate additions at all. Just doubled the chocolate malt. I added milk sugar to the boil and it tastes like a very chocolatey, slightly sweeter guinness. The body isn't too heavy to drink a couple per night.

If, or when, I do it again, I would do some cocoa nibs in the fermenter along with some coffee. I think that would make it deadly.

Ok um, I'm throwing a curve ball beer, I mean curve ball here.

Made something very similar to Randy Mosher's Chocolate Mint Stout, from Radical Brewing.

I made a Chocolate and Banana Stout on Monday.

The grist is chocolatey without chocolate malt or chocolate itself, but I added chocolate anyhow.

My grain bill:

8 lbs of pale malt
2 lbs of biscuit malt
1/2 lb of roasted barley
1/2 lb of black malt
1/2 lb of unsweetened chocolate cocoa.

Mixed in the cocoa by hand into the grist. It smelled great before the cocoa powder.

20180528_140328.jpeg

Mashed it for ninety minutes. The mash smelled like coockoo for cocoa puffs. The lauter was very dark if not black.

20180528_161918.jpeg

The hot break was so brown it looked like chocolate cake. LOL

20180528_171025.jpeg

The boil smelled pretty good.

I then added 10.5lbs of banana at 20 minutes. Meat and peel. In total 20 bananas. At this point the chocolate aroma was gone. Replaced by banana. I plan to drop four oz of cacao nibs at kegging time in a removable tea ball.

20180528_153346.jpeg

20180528_192038.jpeg

Last edited:
Back