Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout sludge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinnick

Reaction score
I have made this same recipe several times and this has never happened. I had it in my secondary for about two weeks and then a weird white colored film started to form. This was also about two weeks after adding the 8 oz. of all natural peanut butter and 8 oz. of cocoa nibs. There was no weird smell coming out of the carboy so I decided to transfer it to a bucket to finish out. This time I didn't see the growth but it did continue to grow. It made a nice solid film over the entire surface. I almost looked like a powder but when you touched it, it was just sludge. I went ahead and bottled it anyways since there was no bad smell. At the end of the bottling I ended up with half a bottle and tasted it. It tasted just as I would expect my stout to taste. I didn't think that I transferred any of the sludge since it appeared to stay on the top but only two days in the bottle and there it is again in each bottle. Any ideas on what it could be? Is it safe?

Thanks, Nick

Latest posts

Back