Chocolate Baltic Porter - All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kokesbrewing

Reaction score
I brewed an excellent Chocolate Baltic Porter last winter and I'm looking to improve my recipe this year. I'm eliminating chocolate extract from this years formula. I liked the chocolate aroma from the extract although didn't care for the artificial taste. How does the following recipe look?

This year I'm using lactose, cocoa nibs, and Candi sugar to replace the extract and add a bit more sweet body.

Here's my rough draft of this years recipe.

27 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)Grain 4.5 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)Grain 1.4 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)Grain 2.8%
2 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)Grain 35.5 %
4.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)Grain 0.7 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)Grain 6.9 %

2 lbs Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 5.5 %
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM)Sugar 2.8 %
8.00 oz Cocao Nibs (Boil 10.0 mins) Flavor

1.32 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 21.7 IBUs
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 12.4 IBUs
1.75 oz Williamette [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 22.4 IBUs

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body,

Batch Sparge Water: 8.08 gal Temperature: 168.0 F
Mash In 45.56 qt of water at 165.2 F

Total Grain Weight: 36 lbs 4.0 oz
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F Mash PH: 5.20 Mash

Step Temperature 152.0 F

YEAST
2.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml]Yeast - 2 qt stir plate starter (~700 billion cells)

Secondary
8.00 Bourbon Soaked Vanilla Beans (Secondary 14.0 days)

Thanks... It's very similar to a sweet stout although the ABV is a little to high for that style. I'll definately add some roasted malt.

BTW this if for a 11 gallon batch

Yesterday I made the plunge and brewed this beer. Everything went very smoothly.

For brewers that use a pump make sure you put your cocoa nibs in a tea infuser before pitching into the wort. The small cocoa nibs got stuck in my hoses and pump. I was forced to use a strainer to get the nibs out before I could get the wort out.

I decided to remove the candi sugar and added 8 oz of cocoa powder.

I think I just made the largest pot of hot cocoa! The cocoa power made the wort thick like hot chocolate.

I'll let you know how the fermentation goes. I split this wort into 2 carboys. 1 pitched with Burton yeast that the other with California ale yeast.

kokesbrewing said:
Thanks... It's very similar to a sweet stout although the ABV is a little to high for that style. I'll definately add some roasted malt.

BTW this if for a 11 gallon batch

This is the best beer that i`ve ever brewed.
Simply great.

Back