Chocoalte Raspberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ho0sier-9

Reaction score
I have a couple of friends that like a Chocolate Raspberry from a local winery. They share some with us. We like it as well.
Was looking for a recipe and the closest I could find was for the Chocolate Strawberry Port. Asked if anyone had made it in Raspberry and no replies :(sooooooo....
I started one following that as a guide.
For the Raspberry's I am using the Vintner's Best Raspberry Fruit Wine Base. Followed the instructions for the Base.
Mixed the Cocoa with water and I also wanted to "bump" the ABV so I added 4# of sugar. ended up with 5gal +the little volume from the sugar.
sg was 1.105 so an potential ABV of 14.0-14.5%. What I was shooting for
ph was 5.0
temp about 72f.... pitched the Lalvin 71B-1122.
Will keep posting my results.

Well an update to my "progress"....
I started the Wine 1 year, 1 month and 10 days ago.
I bottled last night.....
there is "good news" and "bad news"....
As BernardSmith had warned me it is challenging to clear a cocoa addition.
I racked the wine every 6 to 8 weeks. The past 4 months there was virtually NOTHING that was dropping out of suspension.
I even cold crashed it the last cold spell & again when we had 10 inches of snow.

good news.....tastes GREAT!
bad news......it is NOT clear.

will I make this again?......probably tastes too good not to.
will I work as hard trying to get it to clear?.......definitely NOT. if I do I will probably do it with chemical assistance.

Try letting it age onto a 100% cocoa bar next time. Still a lot of taste, and no challenge to clear.

Back