Chlorine in water, common to treat or one for the history books?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stz

Reaction score
Hello HBT.
I keep tropical fish and am used to dealing with chlorine for their sake. Chlorine will gas out of water left standing overnight, especially if you are prepared to beat it a few times or you can remove it instantly using any number of products designed for this usage as well as chloramine if applicable in your area. Typically the benefit of using a proper product is they contain something to bind the ammonia produced by the reaction if you were to get really DIY and just treat with potassium or sodium thiosulfate or bisulfate though as long as the pH isn't falling below 7, you aren't dealing with situations like rearing sensitive fry, you are performing partial water changes and your filtration is established it isn't that big a deal.

Since my area doesn't use chloramine for brewing purposes I've either drawn off my water for brew day into a few 5gal water bottles the night before and left it to stand uncovered with the occasional shake or I've used a dash of sodium or potassium bisulfate. I'm well aware of the potential pathway for chlorophenol, but generally considered it a problem for improper sanitation/rinsing when using things like bleach.

The more I read anecdotally the more I'm leaning towards not actually worrying about chlorine. The tap water here tastes and smells ok, so I've not got high levels in the first place. All my water splashes into jugs when drawn off, splashes into my hot liquor tank as I fill, is heated with occasional stirring to strike temperature over a few hours and then with more occasional stirring on to my sparge temperature. Throughout my process it is generally pouring down onto something or undergoing some form of agitation. It then undergoes the boil during the brew.

Commercial microbreweries I've been in around here don't do anything about chlorine unless they filter, though the typical path for their water likely gives it plenty of time to sit, it splashes down into the cold liquor tank and sits for as long as needed, it is used to chill the beer in the paraflow where it is warmed up and then it splashes down into the hot liquor tank where it sits for as long as needed. While all the water is never exhausted and it is always combination of freshly drawn and water which has sat, the majority of it has likely spent a day or two in the brewery and undergone a fair bit of agitation to get there.

So what are others doing? I brewing on saturday and I think this is the first time ever I've forgotten to treat for chlorine. I think I became aware of it during the mash and I consoled myself with the thought that unless you have a chlorine problem, as in very obviously highly chlorinated tap water you most likely can consign treatment to the history books. On the other hand I'm wondering if the answer is actually, you idiot, everybody treats for chlorine every time. Does anybody not treat chlorinated water which smells and tastes otherwise ok and get away with it or do they encounter problems?

I mostly brew with un-chlorinated water (rainwater), but... The few times I've used chlorinated water, I haven't done anything about the chlorine and the beer was great, BUT it is only lightly chlorinated. In areas (or at times of year) where there is lots of chlorine, you could have a problem (I think most brewers use campden tabs - sodium or potassium metabisulfite). Be aware that there can be 'spikes' in chlorine use by water authorities where they need to kill some water borne organisms. I think (only from reading) that chloramine is more of an issue for brewing.

I've gone to RO water then re-mineralize to a profile I like. There's more in tap water here in Austin then chlorine along with high pH of 9 or so that causes issues. Beer got fundamentally better after switching and at $1.75/5gal it's worth it.

I always add potassium metabisulfate, just in case; it doesn't hurt. The tablets are a cheap precautionary measure. Our water here is very soft, too.

I can source unchlorinated bottled water in 5 gallon returnable plastic containers for about 2 dollars around here. check around for some around where you live. Starting with good water is a great way to improve your beer.

Most of my water bills involve maybe a gallon of tap water (chlorinated) and the rest RO water.

Brewed Sunday, 1 gal tap, 6.25 gal RO. That isn't a lot of chlorine, but I can't think of a good reason to have any in my brewing water. So a half a campden tablet, crushed and stirred in, and I'm good to go.

I've gone to RO water then re-mineralize to a profile I like. There's more in tap water here in Austin then chlorine along with high pH of 9 or so that causes issues. Beer got fundamentally better after switching and at $1.75/5gal it's worth it.

I do the same here in Houston, after an Amber Ale started tasting like band-aids. They use chloramines in Houston, which I can treat with campden, but the water is so hard I just buy RO from a Watermilll Express next to my LHBS.

When I first started brewing, I didn't worry about chlorine, and didn't filter or treat my water. Some tasters at my club picked up the dreaded "bandaid" taste in my beers. So I started treating with metabisulfite, and never had the issue again. Throwing in a few hundred milligrams, along with the rest of the brewing salts, is a trivial effort and cost. The chlorine content in my water is in the 1 - 1.5 ppm range.

Brew on :mug:

When I first started brewing, I didn't worry about chlorine, and didn't filter or treat my water. Some tasters at my club picked up the dreaded "bandaid" taste in my beers. So I started treating with metabisulfite, and never had the issue again. Throwing in a few hundred milligrams, along with the rest of the brewing salts, is a trivial effort and cost. The chlorine content in my water is in the 1 - 1.5 ppm range.

Brew on :mug:

I think I will endeavour to not forget again. I know some people are much more sensitive (and others can't taste it at all) to chlorophenols. The level here is 0.3ppm which is low.

I think I will endeavour to not forget again. I know some people are much more sensitive (and others can't taste it at all) to chlorophenols. The level here is 0.3ppm which is low.

I think that's really the message in all this. I followed the "if your water tastes good you can brew good beer" mantra at the start of my brewing, and paid the price for it.

Different people have different abilities to taste. I'm not a super-taster, so I can't perceive some of this stuff. I know some who are, and they can tell.

So I brew as if I were going to sell it. I never will, have NO aspirations that way, but it just seems to me the best approach is to follow best practices, even if I'm not able to tell.

Latest posts

Back