Chinook & Saaz IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyron

Reaction score
Hello guys, I'm planning to brew an IPA (1.3 gallons batch) and the hop schedule is the next:

0.17 oz Chinook at 60 min.
0.17 oz Chinook at 30 min.
0.17 oz Saaz at 10 min.
0.17 oz Saaz at 0 min.

My doubt is that I don't know if the Saaz will add something to the beer or it will get lost behind the Chinook?

What do you think?

Thanks for your opinions,
Cheers

I think that the chinook, being added primarily as a bittering and kettle hop, will not contribute that heavily to aroma, So I think that the Saaz aroma should be able to come through. That being said, I think that upping the amount of Saaz at the end of the boil will increase your chances of getting more of that aroma in the finished product. In the end however, being able to pick out a certain hop flavor/aroma and pinpoint it in the finished beer is always difficult. I might also think about dry hopping with the saaz? Hope my input helps!

Cheers!

I think that the chinook, being added primarily as a bittering and kettle hop, will not contribute that heavily to aroma, So I think that the Saaz aroma should be able to come through. That being said, I think that upping the amount of Saaz at the end of the boil will increase your chances of getting more of that aroma in the finished product. In the end however, being able to pick out a certain hop flavor/aroma and pinpoint it in the finished beer is always difficult. I might also think about dry hopping with the saaz? Hope my input helps!

Cheers!

Of course it helps! I'll try adding more Saaz at the end as you say (makes logic) and let's see what happens... Thanks!

Interesting combo! Chinook is a pretty aggressive hop, but with no additions after 30 mins should allow the Saaz to become apparent. With the right balance, I think that the earthy, spicy Saaz could potentially be complemented by the more piney spicy Chinook. Keep us posted!

All right, my beer is Fermenting now (almost a week)! I'll keep you guys posted how it comes...

Btw, I change the hop schedule, I wanted to be sure that Chinook won't suffocate the Saaz:

0.14 oz Chinook at 60 min.
0.11 oz Chinook at 30 min.
0.35 oz Saaz at 10 min.
0.35 oz Saaz at 0 min.

That should give me around 68 IBU's.

Cheers guys and thanks!

Hello guys, I'm planning to brew an IPA (1.3 gallons batch) and the hop schedule is the next:

0.17 oz Chinook at 60 min.
0.17 oz Chinook at 30 min.
0.17 oz Saaz at 10 min.
0.17 oz Saaz at 0 min.

My doubt is that I don't know if the Saaz will add something to the beer or it will get lost behind the Chinook?

What do you think?

Thanks for your opinions,
Cheers

Curious how this turned out. I'm planning an IPA with basically the same hop combo in March. Cheers!

Back