chinook hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avm221

Reaction score
ok well i scored a black friday deal on chinook hops so now i have 2lbs of them and trying to figure out what i should brew with them, im noticing that they are fairly high alpha (14.3), but i also like the taste of them, im assuming that this can be used as a bittering and as a aroma hop. and suggestions on what kinds of beer i should make with is, im not really into IPA's but im thinking an APA but if you can think of anything else that would help i got 2 pounds of this and don't want to waist it

I like them best for bittering and pair really well with Cascade for aroma.

ok well i scored a black friday deal on chinook hops so now i have 2lbs of them and trying to figure out what i should brew with them, im noticing that they are fairly high alpha (14.3), but i also like the taste of them, im assuming that this can be used as a bittering and as a aroma hop. and suggestions on what kinds of beer i should make with is, im not really into IPA's but im thinking an APA but if you can think of anything else that would help i got 2 pounds of this and don't want to waist it

To my taste their bittering can be a little harsh unless you are careful. I'd try an APA, American Amber or other beer that likes a little bitterness. Use them for bittering and then follow up with some Willamette, Goldings, etc. for aroma.

One of my new favorite hops here. I'd brew a single hop IPA. Try something like this:

OG: 1.065
FG: 1.012
IBU 55-60

88% 2-row
4% C40
4% Carapils
2% flaked barley
2% dextrose

25 IBU bittering
30-35 IBU Whirlpool (calculate as a 6 minute addition and steep for 20 minutes before chilling.)

Ferment with something clean and dry hop with 2oz after FG. Carb it and enjoy!

I've recently brewed an Old Speckled Hen using Chinook. It is amazing! And not an undrinkable hop bomb like Arrogant Bastard

OG 1.050
IBU 30

80% pale malt (Marris Otter)
10% crystal 120L
10% Belgian brün sugar/light brown sugar

3/4 oz Chinook @ 60 min
1/2 oz Chinook @ 15 min
1 oz Chinook @ knockout (I actually used 3oz whole cones in a Hop Rocket for my version instead of this flameout addition)

Mash at 147.

Use your favorite English yeast. I used Nottingham and keep it as close to 60F as possible. Bottle condition for 4 weeks before drinking. It is an awesome ESB with enough bitterness to be noticed but not enough to keep you from having another one. Try it, you'll like it.

I've recently brewed an Old Speckled Hen using Chinook. It is amazing! And not an undrinkable hop bomb like Arrogant Bastard

OG 1.050
IBU 30

80% pale malt (Marris Otter)
10% crystal 120L
10% Belgian brün sugar/light brown sugar

3/4 oz Chinook @ 60 min
1/2 oz Chinook @ 15 min
1 oz Chinook @ knockout (I actually used 3oz whole cones in a Hop Rocket for my version instead of this flameout addition)

Mash at 147.

Use your favorite English yeast. I used Nottingham and keep it as close to 60F as possible. Bottle condition for 4 weeks before drinking. It is an awesome ESB with enough bitterness to be noticed but not enough to keep you from having another one. Try it, you'll like it.

That is a great looking recipe. I'm going to write that down and try it. Thanks!

Oh, just in case you were wondering...

image-3096789352.jpg

I have an IPA fermenting now with Chinook at 10, and 0 mins with Citra and Simcoe. Same combo for DH. I have read at least a few commercial brews DHing with Chinook.

Using Chinook @60+minutes can lead to a dry, astringent bitterness. I used it once as a bittering hop for an IPA and never again.

Hmm, from the Steele's IPA book, their Self Righteous recipe bitters with Chinook.

How much did you use?

Chinook has a pretty high cohumulone level, which will contribute astringency in the bitterness. Try something cleaner for bittering, like warrior.

I just did a single hop batch with chinook. Its a hoppy pale ale as i like to put it. 5% abv 40 ibu and hopped with large amounts towards the end of boil and dry hopping. Keep the bitterness and specialty malts to a minimum and enjoy the flavor and aroma. That is typically what i do with one of my brew recipes to get familiar with different hop varieties.

Chinook has a pretty high cohumulone level, which will contribute astringency in the bitterness. Try something cleaner for bittering, like warrior.

I agree with you. I much prefer Warrior to Chinook.

I've been trying to put a "Hops Comparison Chart" together and this thread has been very instructive in that. The reactions from the contributors are all over the map. I find Chinooks to be harsh, others find them to be bitter and tasty. It seems to be like beauty ... all in the eyes (or the taste buds) of the beholder.

I agree with you. I much prefer Warrior to Chinook.

I've been trying to put a "Hops Comparison Chart" together and this thread has been very instructive in that. The reactions from the contributors are all over the map. I find Chinooks to be harsh, others find them to be bitter and tasty. It seems to be like beauty ... all in the eyes (or the taste buds) of the beholder.

Yup! That's why I love this hobby, and also find it frustrating as hell! You have to brew for yourself to find what you like and do not. I used cascades once for bittering, and found them very harsh. I looked them up and found they do have a high cohumulone level.

Stone could have been using Chinook at the time due to cost or resource allocations.

Although I haven't used Chinook for bittering, I have paired it with late and dry hop additions with Citra. It melds VERY well. I just got a 1st place ribbon from a competition with that combo a few months ago here in CT. Tasty stuff!

AB is horrible.

I like hops.

AB is horrible.

Edit: I should say: have at it....I'm not worthy. More for you!

Although I haven't used Chinook for bittering, I have paired it with late and dry hop additions with Citra. It melds VERY well. I just got a 1st place ribbon from a competition with that combo a few months ago here in CT. Tasty stuff!

+1 to 0 min and dry hop with chinook, especially with a little roasty malt in the grain bill

Yup! That's why I love this hobby, and also find it frustrating as hell! You have to brew for yourself to find what you like and do not. I used cascades once for bittering, and found them very harsh. I looked them up and found they do have a high cohumulone level.

Stone could have been using Chinook at the time due to cost or resource allocations.

That's almost funny! :)

I always keep a supply of Cascade on hand for bittering my Amber Ales, Cream Ales, etc. In fact, my crowd-pleaser Cream Ale is a single hop Cascade recipe.

And the point we agreed upon is all the more made.

Cheers!

:mug:

Back