Chinook/Columbus/Cascade IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schy13

Reaction score
Would Chinnok, Columbus and Cascade work well with each other in the additions below? Anything you would do different? Also does the grain bill look good?

13 lbs 2-row
2 lbs Munich
0.5 lbs Wheat malt
0.5 Caramel 20

60 min 1.5 oz Chinook

10 min 1.0 oz Cascade
0.5 oz Chinook
0.5 oz Columbus

5 min 1.0 oz Cascade
0.5 oz Chinook
0.5 oz Columbus

0 min 1.0 oz Cascade
1.0 oz Chinook

Dry Hop with 1.0 oz Cascade, Chinook, Columbus

Sounds good to me. I'm hop bursting everything these days with the advent of high alpha hops it's quite the great way to up the taste/aroma without losing the necessary bitterness. I like cascade but you might do better with a bit more umpf: citra or simcoe or even columbus perhaps. I'm liking summit right now also fwiw.

Steve da sleeve

Thank you. Do you think the amount of munich im using is to much? Would you add any carapils or more wheat at all?

Thank you. Do you think the amount of munich im using is to much? Would you add any carapils or more wheat at all?

It really depends how you like your IPAs, but I recently brewed one with about 13% munich and 5% crystal malts. It was a very good beer, well balanced with a strong malt backbone for the hops, but it also seemed a bit too malty for how I like my IPAs. Took a little character away from the hops. The other thing was that I had some left over after a month or two, when some of the hop character had died off, and all I could taste was munich malt.

I would dial the munich back a bit to 5-8% if I were brewing this.

4-12% Munich
4-8% C20

Stay toward the lower end for more of those drier, crisper, cleaner, subtle notes (better for hop character)
Stay toward the higher end for more of those sweeter, richer, fuller, obvious notes (better for malt character)

You could double the wheat malt here, or leave it as is. No biggie. I think anywhere between 4-12% of wheat in an IPA works well depending on the recipe/process. No carapils necessary. What's your mash temp and yeast?

Hops revised:

60 min 1.0 oz Columbus
20 min 1.0 oz Chinook
10 min 1.0 oz Columbus
10 min 1.0 oz Chinook
0 min / Whirlpool steep 2.0 oz Cascade

Dry Hop with 1.0 oz each Cascade, Chinook, Columbus

....Personally, I would use Centennial in place of Chinook. I think that would make for a better trio.

I mash around 153 and was planning on using American ale 1056 for the yeast. Would replacing cascade with amarillo be good?

Chinook is one of those love it or hate it hops. If you like it, then that is a solid trio and schedule.

For the base, what are you going for? Munich + crystal wouldn't be dry enough for my taste, but some people like maltier IPA's.

I want a hop forward beer that is somewhat dry, but with a some malt presence. Im new to all grain so still not good with my malt combos.

Personally I only use 8 to 12 oz of Munich in my IPA. 8 oz carapils and 12 to 13 lbs pale. I mash at 151-152 and it always finishes at or under 1.010 with a pack of US-05. Nice and dry and just a touch of malt presence.

I ran out of base grain but had to brew anyway(!) so I did an all Munich IPA. 90% Munich + 10% cane sugar to dry it out. It is fantastic. FWIW

Looking at the OP recipe...I think the 2# of Munich would be fine but if you're going for a dry finish then consider adding a pound of sugar to bump up the ABV a bit and dry it out a little. They finish up drier and with a lighter mouthfeel, which I prefer in an IPA. Also, I am a fan of FWH and 90-minute boils in hop-forward beers...

Well, no reply from the original post, however this past Monday I made a Centennial, Chinook, Columbus IPA and it is bubbling away right now. I will let you know how it turns out. About four weeks.

Back