Chinese Stainless Steel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thekraken

Reaction score
I was pricing some stainless fittings and found everything I need from the manufacturer Merit Brass on amazon.com. Some of their stuff clearly has China stamped on the outside of the parts. The manufacturer has assured me that the alloy contains no lead, but what about surface contamination like with brass fittings?

I've read Palmer's information about cleaning surface lead off of brass fittings using a vinegar and hydrogen peroxide solution. Would this be necessary for cheapo Chinese stainless steel fittings? Would such a solution actually have a negative reaction with a SS alloy?

Would y'all be comfortable using these products with your beer?

I was pricing some stainless fittings and found everything I need from the manufacturer Merit Brass on amazon.com. Some of their stuff clearly has China stamped on the outside of the parts. The manufacturer has assured me that the alloy contains no lead, but what about surface contamination like with brass fittings?

I've read Palmer's information about cleaning surface lead off of brass fittings using a vinegar and hydrogen peroxide solution. Would this be necessary for cheapo Chinese stainless steel fittings? Would such a solution actually have a negative reaction with a SS alloy?

Would y'all be comfortable using these products with your beer?
Unlike older brass fittings (brass fittings are almost all lead free now because of an upcoming regulation prohibiting it in food /water applications) stainless steel is not made with lead and its highly unlikely it would be thrown into the stainless by the Chinese.... I could be wrong but I believe the scrap value of lead is equal or greater than the nickel or steel found in stainless..( its not mercury after all) . Honestly much of the fittings come from china these days even much of the "name brand" ones...
I have used some of the cheaper stuff..Some has been fine, other stuff had loose fitting threads and improperly molded pieces. 2weeks ago I had to grind down extra material on a camlock fitting to make it work.

It is my understanding that lead is not incorporated as a compound in stainless or brass but instead is used as a lubricating agent in the forming process. When the stainless is pressed into shape lead is used as a lubrication to allow the machine parts to slide freely around the pot being formed. In the case of brass fittings lead is used to lubricate the cutting heads. This lead needs to be washed from the surface as mentioned in Palmer's book. Reports have surfaced that the Chinese still use lead in their processes. Don't think the Chinese will stop using it just because the rest of the world wants them too. I worked for a very large Telecommunication manufacturer from China and they would not listen to anyone. We were always fighting with them about adhering to the Bell/ATT standards when working in North America but they constantly went behind our backs and did what they wanted. They pissed off more customers time and time again. That being said, I have three 25 gal SS pots from China and I washed them as suggested by Palmer and I feel very safe using them. The lead is on the surface and can be removed as I have been told and the articles I have read. Hope this helps.

That's interesting, so lead IS using in the manufacturing of these (Chinese) SS fittings. I'm referring specifically to SS cast pipe fittings, I assume they would get the same cutting treatment as brass fittings? Anyway, if a wash as Palmer suggests is sufficient I could go that route, unless anyone has a known lead free SS cast pipe fitting supplier...

Back