Chiller in the boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickL

Reaction score
So I understand that the big copper kettles that some breweries use do a lot of good things for the beer. One of which is removing sulfur from the wort. I always add my immersion chiller to the kettle for the last 15 minutes of the boil to sanitize it.
Do you think this could possibly be helping with sulfur the way old copper kettles do? Perhaps some other advantages of copper kettles?

So I understand that the big copper kettles that some breweries use do a lot of good things for the beer. One of which is removing sulfur from the wort. I always add my immersion chiller to the kettle for the last 15 minutes of the boil to sanitize it.
Do you think this could possibly be helping with sulfur the way old copper kettles do? Perhaps some other advantages of copper kettles?

Hmm, that is an interesting question. Maybe it would be beneficial to boil the chiller for the full boil.

Ive heard some older brewers that got grandfathered in with old copper kettles (stainless is the only approved "new kettle" material) recommend home brewers keep a small piece of copper tubing in the kettle for the whole boil or boil the chiller the whole time. personally I just toss my IC in at 15 minutes along with whirfloc, if I'm using it. I like my beer. My wife and buddies like my beer. I've thought about putting a hunk of copper tubing I had left from my IC build in the kettle and leaving it there but have not done so to date. If you make good beer I say leave it alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I got this question recently when listening to the Brew strong Podcast on metals. One of the guest hosts said he threw a copper pipe into the boil when he wasn't brewing on his pro copper setup.

Latest posts

Back