Chill how long after natural carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warthaug

Reaction score
My brewing overran my kegorator space in November, so I naturally carb'd the last beer, which has been sitting at cellar temperatures ever since. It's now time to imbibe in that last keg, but never having done this before (naturally carbing a keg), I have a question.

My understanding of gas law tells me that my keg (at room temp) should have about 30psi in the head space. Once the beer cools this will redissolve, leaving the keg near serving pressure.

My question is: how long will that take? IE, once the keg is in the fridge, how long does it need to sit cold before I can serve without risking a beer shower?

Thanx

Bryan

My brewing overran my kegorator space in November, so I naturally carb'd the last beer, which has been sitting at cellar temperatures ever since. It's now time to imbibe in that last keg, but never having done this before (naturally carbing a keg), I have a question.

My understanding of gas law tells me that my keg (at room temp) should have about 30psi in the head space. Once the beer cools this will redissolve, leaving the keg near serving pressure.

My question is: how long will that take? IE, once the keg is in the fridge, how long does it need to sit cold before I can serve without risking a beer shower?

Thanx

Bryan

You shouldn't get a beer shower at any time, but once the beer is cold it will pour better.

FWIW it seems to me to take about 48 hrs for a 5 gal keg to get good and cold. I've certainly tapped at 24hrs though.

Thanks for the replies. I let the beer chill for 2 days - even after that there was a lot of pressure in the headspace. It appears I over-carbed; despite using the recommended 1/2 the bottling amount of sugar. I've purged a few times and have gone from pouring foam to pouring beer.

Thanks for the help

Bryan

Back