Chill Haze Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthRiverS

Reaction score
Brewers,

Last month I bottled an amber ale and conditioned it for three weeks. The beer seemed crystal clear. I then put one in the fridge to cool and absorb the carbonation. I checked it after two days in the fridge and noticed what appears to be chill haze. My question is will this eventually clear?

All replies greatly appreciated......

NRS

It is unlikely that it will clear if you keep it as fridge temps--unless you filter everything out of it. That's too cold for unfiltered beer. Store them in the fridge if you must, but bring them out and let them warm to around 45 to 55 and them pour one and see how it looks. Also, while you're at it notice how much better aroma and flavor the beer has at this temperature.

I always kept a small fridge set to cellar temperatures for my beer. If this isn't a possibility then you will either have settle for the haze or let them warm a bit before drinking them.

Nope,not quite correct. The chill haze comes from dissolved protiens in the beer that stay in suspension from not chilling the hot wort down to pitch temp in about 20 minutes or less. So by fridge time,as soon as the bottles cool down,they haze up.
But it's not the end of the world. AE beers' chill haze will settle out like a fog in a couple days in the fridge. I've done it many times. That's another reason I recommend at least 1 week fridge time. Chill haze needs 3-5 days on average to settle out. Not to mention get decent head & carbonation.
It's not a quick process.

Back