Chick Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amrmedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I heard on the radio an ad for a new beer. Its called Chick Beer. Its a beer made and marketed to women, it is a low cal, low carbohydrate light lager with less carbonation.

I like the idea, but from the sounds of it, it seems like a watered down version of Michelob Ultra. Marketing a beer to a specific group is a great idea, but these seems to be stereotypical of what people think women want in a beer.

I know many women who drink beer and most of them shy away from Mich Ultra, Bud light, etc. Many love IPA's, Belgians, lambics, etc.

What has beer and brewing come to?

*bangs head on desk*

Dear G*d WHY?? Sounds like a horrific "Revenge of Zima"

http://chickbeer.com/

I also know more women who enjoy real beer. Funky, fruity Belgian ales, British brown ale, and if it has fruit it damned well better be a lambic, sour, or a dry pub cider.

I guess it's just one more thing for me to rant about.

I know many women who drink beer and most of them shy away from Mich Ultra, Bud light, etc. Many love IPA's, Belgians, lambics, etc.

I know your anecdotal evidence seems important, but if the company is spending a ridiculous amount of money to launch this beer, they probably did their marketing homework.

History is full of products that were brought to
market but ill conceived.

The market already has beers that fit the description made by the big boys. From what I read, they are a small micro brewery with a 1 beer line up. Probably done on contract. So what besides a name and label make it different.

It is unavailable in my area. So I have no way of tasting it. I am just going off the description. If anyone has tasted it, let me know.

I read a brew book that said all the popular american beers are really chick beers: Busch, Miller, Michelob, etc, etc.

The story is that when the major commercial breweries were coming out of prohibition, the World War was in full swing in the 1940's. Many of the men were off to war, so the beer market was flooded with women. The beer industry had to cater to women. That's why mainstream american beer tastes watered down.

History is full of products that were brought to
market but ill conceived.

The market already has beers that fit the description made by the big boys. From what I read, they are a small micro brewery with a 1 beer line up. Probably done on contract. So what besides a name and label make it different.

It's the shameless marketing that gets me. :mad:

Yeah I guess that makes me one of those feminist beotch types, but this really seems like one of those old school marketing campaigns used to sell stuff like wine coolers and Zima.

It's just so obvious and icky.

Have you seen pictures? The 6-pack looks like a purse, and the bottle has a little black dress on it. *sigh* I'm right with y'all; never met a beer that was too choppy or bitter, certainly not into low flavor and low carb. However, we're a rather unique group of women (and beer drinkers in general) and our tastes are clearly not indicative of the average American.

There are tons of bad beers on the market that are supposed to appeal to men- if you consider the Bud Light and Miller Light commercials, those are supposed to be "Stud Beers". So why not a "Chick Beer"?

If people are stupid enough to buy into the advertising gimmicks, then they deserve to drink bad beer. :D

I know your anecdotal evidence seems important, but if the company is spending a ridiculous amount of money to launch this beer, they probably did their marketing homework.

Well, yeah. Marketing tells them that most American beer drinkers drink swill. They don't really care about what it tastes like, but just want to drink something that has alcohol in it and has as few calories as possible.

That's not what this place is about, though.

I'll have a Girl Beer instead

girl-beer.jpg

I read a brew book that said all the popular american beers are really chick beers: Busch, Miller, Michelob, etc, etc.

The story is that when the major commercial breweries were coming out of prohibition, the World War was in full swing in the 1940's. Many of the men were off to war, so the beer market was flooded with women. The beer industry had to cater to women. That's why mainstream american beer tastes watered down.

uhhhh..... Prohibition ended in 1933, the US entered WW2 in 1941.

I thought the reason was that people had gotten used to drinking watered down prohibition beer.

The problem with these ultra light beers that market to anyone that's actually worried about calorie intake from drinking is that a 64 calorie beer, which is about half the calories of a normal big beer's light beer, has about half the ABV percentage that a regular light beer has. That means they'll drink just as many calories to intake the same amount of alcohol.

I thought the reason was that people had gotten used to drinking watered down prohibition beer.

Charlie Papazian wrote a fair amount on why the American beer market came to be full of such bland, tastelss fizzy lagers in The Joy of Home Brewing, I believe. It started with Prohibition, but there were several reasons, though.

The movie "Beer Wars" covers it a bit too. Excellent movie, IMHO.

My NSHO (not so humple opinion, lol) is that if people are looking for a beer that is "smooth, easy to drink and low in calories" maybe beer ain't the drink for them. Stick with wine coolers.

uhhhh..... Prohibition ended in 1933, the US entered WW2 in 1941.

However the dates work out, it is still the case that many of those post-Prohibition beers were designed with women in mind. From what I've read, since the leading proponents of Prohibition were women, commercial breweries re-entering the market were anxious to make a product that would appeal to their taste. Thus, they hoped to mollify any lingering resentment on the part of these women.

Ugh. I'm a little offended by "Chick Beer". First of all it sounds awful, if you want your beer to taste like water it would be cheaper just to drink...water. I don't mind the all american beers like miller light and bud light but I especially like a good Hefe. As long as I'm going to enjoy what I'm drinking, calories don't matter much to me.

Charlie Papazian wrote a fair amount on why the American beer market came to be full of such bland, tastelss fizzy lagers in The Joy of Home Brewing, I believe. It started with Prohibition, but there were several reasons, though.

The movie "Beer Wars" covers it a bit too. Excellent movie, IMHO.

In my opinion, Mauren Ogle's book "Ambitious Brew" covers this topic better than either Joy of, or Beer Wars...

Weird. I thought we all ate and drank the same. How weird would it be to see a pizza joint market only men or women? I think it's BMC that is guilty of marketing specifically towards men. There is nothing about snow or trains, or anything else in those commercials that makes me want to drink any more. Never understood why they would spend millions on these campaigns. They should play a commercial where you work all day and sweat and sit in traffic or find out your pool pump just exploded or your mother in law is going to move in with you for a year due to getting laid off. That would make me want one.

I can't stand any of the light stuff. If I'm worried about the calories, I'd rather just drink a couple good beers rather than multiple light crap ones. Or eat healthier food with it. I think it's hilarious when women will order a light beer and eat the most unhealthiest crap with it. Really?? Does the light somehow negate the rest of your gluttony?

I can't stand any of the light stuff. If I'm worried about the calories, I'd rather just drink a couple good beers rather than multiple light crap ones. Or eat healthier food with it. I think it's hilarious when women will order a light beer and eat the most unhealthiest crap with it. Really?? Does the light somehow negate the rest of your gluttony?

LOL that's like when you see someone eating a snickers and drinking a diet coke.

A lot of my friends drink miller lite but still appreciate a good "quality" beer, but miller lite is their got to beer for parties and gatherings for the simple reason you can buy a 30 pack for the same price as a 12 pack of good beer, and drink all night and not have to bum beers off friends (who will probably be drinking a lite beer anyway)

A lot of my friends drink miller lite but still appreciate a good "quality" beer, but miller lite is their got to beer for parties and gatherings for the simple reason you can buy a 30 pack for the same price as a 12 pack of good beer, and drink all night and not have to bum beers off friends (who will probably be drinking a lite beer anyway)

Sounds exactly like my friends. But I do have that one friend who rather the most expensive beer he can find and then ends up drinking them all in the first hour or two and mooches off our miller for the rest of night. i think if you plan to drink a lot in one night miller lite is the way to go.

Latest posts

Back