Chicago Breweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrim

Reaction score
I am visiting Chicago in August and will have a Sunday to goof off. I will be with my wife and we both think it might be fun to visit a brewery or two. She loves IPA's and I'm more eclectic but would really like to try an offbeat Belgian beer, or two. We will be staying within walking distance of Wrigley field and it would be nice to stay in that area of town but we can definitely jump on a train or bus.
So, I ask the collective brain trust, what would you recommend? I'm particularly interested in hidden gems. It would be nice to visit a brewery that is local only but producing great stuff.
I appreciate any input. Cheers!

I'm a big fan of Revolution. Lagunitas is impressive, but was unimpressed last time I was there with their offerings at the tap room. Another favorite is Half Acre. Think about maybe heading over to Indiana to check out Three Floyd's. It's not that far. One other option, if you want Chicago style pizza and some local beer is Gono's East in River North brews their own beer.

Those are just a few, too many to list them all, but those are my picks for don't miss.

Revolution, Lagunitas, Dry Hop, and Two brothers. Hidden gem there would be Dry Hop as it seems to be what revolution was a few years ago. I wouldn't waste your time driving to 3F. You could drive there and not even get to try a beer you want.

Revolution, Lagunitas, Dry Hop, and Two brothers. Hidden gem there would be Dry Hop as it seems to be what revolution was a few years ago. I wouldn't waste your time driving to 3F. You could drive there and not even get to try a beer you want.
I disagree. 3F tap list is wonderful and I go on Saturdays and the wait is a little longer, but worth it. You can try a lot of great beers there! Food is great too. 18th street is in the area as well.

Very helpful. I don't think Three Floyds will be on the agenda because we're not going to want to drive if avoidable. I'm thinking dry hop and revolution.

Very helpful. I don't think Three Floyds will be on the agenda because we're not going to want to drive if avoidable. I'm thinking dry hop and revolution.

Get an Uber ride to 3F. It is definitely worth visiting. It is stilll my favorite brewery. :mug:

Pipeworks, half acre, and revolution are my chicago favorites. Pipeworks lizard king and ninja vs unicorn are favorites of mine. Half acre daisy cutter and gone away are good and so is revolution anti hero.

If you're walking distance from Wrigley as you mentioned, then something like 18th street is going to be a major hike, and 3 Floyds will be an hour each way plus traffic.

Here's a comprehensive list I found the other day: http://thehopreview.com/blog/chicago-brewery-list

With 68 breweries in the city and 90 in the suburbs, I don't know why you would want to drive all the way to Indiana...

I live in approximately the same area that you'll be visiting. Closest and best are Half Acre for the tour and socializing since they draw a huge group; Dry Hop for the brewpub food (Revolution's brew pub is better but farther, you decide.); Metropolitan is doing some renovations and may or may not be open when you visit but in my opinion brews the technically best beer in the city -- all lagers; Pipeworks, Illuminated Brew Works, Spiteful, and Off Color all are small-ish but rapidly growing operations made up of really good people but none currently have tours or taprooms. See if you can track them down at a local event/tap takeover/etc.

And if you want to meet up with some homebrewers you can always check out our brew club, CHAOS: https://www.chaosbrewclub.net

Obviously there are a lot of good bottle shops and beer bars. You can google these, but my favorites are Beermiscuous and Bottles & Cans, they have incredible selections focused primarily on Chicago offerings.

edit: just re-read the OP, if you're looking for IPAs you'll find them everywhere I recommended, Chicago is the land of the IPA these days. I like the ones that Pipeworks and Spiteful offer. For Belgians, look for Une Annee, Off Color, and Penrose to start

We stopped at Lagunitas the day after Thanksgiving. Cool place, worth a visit. But as @Clonefan94 mentioned, the taplist was a bit disappointing. Nothing that isn't available off the shelves anywhere. Revolution is one of my favorite breweries. Half Acre and Piece are fun. Goose Island on Clybourn is the quintessential brewpub (although it is in the process of being sold to ABInBev. If you're wife likes Belgian beers, you might want to check out the Map Room.

If you're wife likes Belgian beers, you might want to check out the Map Room.
I'm the one that likes Belgians and she almost exclusively drinks pale ale/IPA.
I appreciate the tips. I think I will try to hit two breweries, maybe one in the afternoon and one in the evening.
I've also got to try and take in some other culture in Chicago... I'm not sure why but apparently I do.

I am in town during the same timeframe (Pearl Jam anyone??!!) thanks or the responses i have enjoyed reading!

I am in town during the same timeframe (Pearl Jam anyone??!!) thanks or the responses i have enjoyed reading!

Hell yes! We are going to both shows, that is precisely the purpose of our trip. We got pit tickets on Monday Night!

three floyds is awesome but if you're here for one day I wouldn't go out of your way to go there. Go to a good craft beer bar, Maria's package goods, Hopleaf, Brixie's, I'm sure others can add to the list. Go to one of these places that have an awesome Chicago based taplist and get to try and varity. I'd go to one of these place and a brewery instead of 2 breweries. Revolution and a super nice relaxing taproom that allows outside food

Hell yes! We are going to both shows, that is precisely the purpose of our trip. We got pit tickets on Monday Night!

we will be at the monday show 10C Res will come to town on sat tho and try to get in sat or just hang around wrigley and listen. enjoy the shows! and the beers!

cheers
herv

Back