Chestnut cider experience?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kvasir

Reaction score
I have made a half-dozen to a dozen ciders all with great results and I try as many commercial ciders as much as possible both because I love cider and my GF is allergic to gluten. (My GF is GF lol)
I've had a few spectacular chestnut ciders from commercial cideries, most notably from no.12 cider house in MN which my girlfriend and I agree is the best cider we've had.
I have not been able to figure out how to make a chestnut cider though. It's such a great combination and I'd love to fiddle with it but I'm unsure of how to make a chestnut flavor without artificial flavorings.

Anyone have any luck or any ideas on how to go about this? I'd appreciate any ideas....

Was it aged in a chestnut wood barrel perhaps? They are a traditional option for cider. I've had a pear brandy from my local distillery/winery Aeppeltreow and enjoyed the character.

Toast off some chestnuts and throw them in either the primary or secondary?

You could try talking to the brew master at the cider house, if your local and they have a tasting room at the cidery. A few simple questions will get you at least started down the path. I've had good luck with this. Just don't demand their recipe, but ask things like, "This is most excellent, how do you get the chestnut flavor? Is is an extract or do you use actual nuts in the process?... Actual nuts? Are they in the primary ferment? How does the fermenting effect the nuts for people with nut allergies?"

Toast off some chestnuts and throw them in either the primary or secondary?

You could try talking to the brew master at the cider house, if your local and they have a tasting room at the cidery. A few simple questions will get you at least started down the path. I've had good luck with this. Just don't demand their recipe, but ask things like, "This is most excellent, how do you get the chestnut flavor? Is is an extract or do you use actual nuts in the process?... Actual nuts? Are they in the primary ferment? How does the fermenting effect the nuts for people with nut allergies?"
That's a good idea, I've seen them at a few beer tasting events so I'll be sure to ask them.

Anyone have any experience with this style though?

Back