Chest freezer help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocBrown

Reaction score
I've spent the last 6 months off and on building a gorgeous keggerator. It has a tap box with 10 taps that rises out of the back of the collar - there are two 4" diameter pvc pipes with a 2" diameter pipe inside and the gap filled with Great Stuff. The pipes come out the back and then go up vertically to suspend the tap box above and behind the unit. I'll post pictures soon.

Anyway, I got the whole thing assembled, and the freezer died. The compressor still runs, but it doesn't get cold anymore. For a while it was more or less holding temperature at 50deg, as long as there were 6 kegs inside (this was shortly before I put the collar on). I pulled the kegs out and defrosted the freezer for a couple weeks while I got the collar finished and on the freezer. Now it won't cool down at all. It appears that it's low on freon, but this is an old freezer and uses the R12 stuff that you can't get anymore.

So, unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to replace the freezer. But I spent an awful lot of time and effort putting the collar together, and I'd like to find a freezer with the same (or very close) dimensions. I'm hoping someone has a similar freezer and can report exact dimensions so I can pick a good match.

The inside dimensions of the collar are 47.5" by 27.75". It fits snugly on my freezer. I found a Whirlpool 14.9 cu. ft. freezer at Lowes that measures 48.25" by 27.75". That may work in a pinch if I can't find a better one. Can anyone help here?

I can't offer any dimensions, but maybe your collar can be modified slightly? It would depend on how it fit on the old freezer - on top, inside or outside. The freezer you found is close so is there any chance of a slight mod on the collar to make it fit?

I can't offer any dimensions, but maybe your collar can be modified slightly? It would depend on how it fit on the old freezer - on top, inside or outside. The freezer you found is close so is there any chance of a slight mod on the collar to make it fit?

Yeah. And that looks like it's what I'll have to do. Basically, I'll have to cut the lip off the board that covers one end of the freezer and then stain another end piece to go on top of it. I was just hoping if I could find one that was the right size, I would have to end up with an off-center collar and tap box.

Back