Chest Freezer Ferm Chamber Expansion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZacAtakke

Reaction score
I've recently inherited a small chest freezer (about 8.87 cu.ft by my rough measurements) from family that is moving. It looks like I can fit one fermenter in there easy, two if I build a shelf off the hump and a collar. But I would like to have the option of more space as I expand. I also have lots of bottles and would like to keep them at a cooler temperature for conditioning and long term storage.

I'm wondering if anyone has done, or has any suggestions for building off of a chest freezer to make a larger fermentation chamber. Similar to the way brewers have built larger insulated boxes around a mini-fridge.

I know you cannot put a freezer on it's side due to the compressor and other elements. But is it feasible to build up? What about up and to the side, maybe with a fan to push the air out of the freezer?

I've been searching around the forums for a bit and can't seem to find anyone doing or having done this. I'd appreciate some advice on the subject.

Thanks!

I have not ideas why you could not go to the side as long as it is insulated well and fans to circulate air. That side might be a few degrees warmer. IMO start sketching ideas and see what problems come up.

I see building vertically a bigger challenge with the opening and getting to the bottom.

Back