Chest freezer – no control yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overdbus

Reaction score
I just did a road trip to More Beer, where I picked up
keg ,co2 tank, regulator , lines and picnic tap. I already
have a new 7cu ft chest freezer( GE from wally world)
I would really like to put beer in the keg and start to get it
cold, but I don't want a frozen keg , until I get a controller
can I just start cycling the keg in and out or the power to the freezer
off and on , or can I just turn it all the way to the warmest setting
and check how cold it gets in 2 or 3 hours ?

Put it on the warmest setting and check it, but I would still think that would be significantly below 32F. I wouldn't risk pulling a keg out every couple hours - what about sleeping? The beer in the lines will freeze faster than the keg too. I remember waiting for this or that being a PITA when setting up my keezer, but it's worth it.

I know those things are pretty efficient so after you get it 5 or 6 degrees above freezing and turn it off it should hold temps for a decent amount of time.

Maybe this thread has a solution for you? I've never tried this though so I can't say if it works or not.

thats awesome and i will try it this week end but til
then
I'll just pop the keg in an out,I just filled it and put
it the freezer with 12 lbs of co2 charge on it , and no
i didn't leave the tank hooked up

I would not pull the kegs in and out of the keezer...simply unplugging or turning it off is fine. Once the beer is cold, you can likely just plug the keezer in for a few hours daily and the beer will stay relatively cold. It will take a long time to initially chill...10 - 20 hours is my guess. Get the kegs chilling...if they ice a little, its only temproray, just err on the high side:mug:

I have done this to cold crash fermenters...not that difficult.

Back