Cherry wine - Tannin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cruel

Reaction score
I'm making a cherry wine from mostly tart cherries. Here is the one gal adj recipe

SG - 1.100

Lavlin 71b (Gofermed)
nutrient and energizer as per directions (half now half 24hrs after fermentation starts)

3lbs tart cherries (Froze/steralized/pectic enzymed)
64 oz 100% Welch's white grape & cherry juice
1 Banana
Sugar to target SG (~2.5lbs)

Currently I'm planning on having 2lbs of cherries in the primary and 1lb in the secondary. I'm expecting this to go dry, as most of my fermentation seem to go all the way up to the yeasts alcohol ceiling.

Anyway, the question was since I just made this recipe out of what I liked from the many other cherry recipes I could find online, do I need to add tannin? I know that either raisins or tannin are usually added for tannin, and I know that white grape juice or raisins are usually added for body. Does the white grape juice take care of the need for tannins too though?

I couldn't find anything online, and kept running into people stating that cherries tended to be pretty tannic when used in secondary. Which makes me think that I'm okay.

Thoughts?

The banana is probably being used in place of raisins or grape tanin. You should be fine but, taste a sample later on and see if it needs more tannin.

I'd wait till fermentation is done, then do a taste test: If you think it needs tannin, add some & taste again in a day or two. I'd be careful with the tannin though, it's easy to add too much; I learned that the hard way. I don't use the stuff any more. Regards, GF.

I'm new to this. Taste-wise, how do you know if you have the right amount of tannin?

Back