Cherry Wheat fermenting question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACheateaux

Reaction score
1# of caramel 30l
6.5 #of wheat LME
cascade for bittering and flavor
European yeast white labs

Racked onto 1 can of Oregon Fruit Pitted Bing Cherries (purried)

It was a recipe from my LBS that "was the panty dropper" and I needed something for the ladies for the 4th of July bash.

The brew went off without a hitch, but didn't start to see active fermentation until the 36 hour mark. Then it was extremely violent and turbid for 24-30 hours and now, its got nothing going on. No bubbles at all.

Ive had some wheats and wits that weren't overly active, but none that reached terminal this quick. Anyone think I should be worried about something I messed up?

Meanwhile, the California style Pale is still happily bubbling away after 2 weeks...:rockin:

That fermentation doesn't sound out of the ordinary. I'm not familiar with your yeast but they will tend to ferment differently. I would wait a week and then take a gravity measurement.

Sounds pretty normal. You didn't mention the expected FG, nor what you're currently reading, so it's hard to tell if it's done or not. The yeast are still doing stuff, even if it's not violent. Take my experience with dry Nottingham - a day for it to explode and blow the top off my fermenter, then two days later, no krausen at all, but the yeasties are still working on cleaning up after themselves. Two weeks in primary is a standard, even if they're not still bubbling violently.

Back