Cherry questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
I'm going to do an AG batch probably next month, but I'm trying to figure out the best place to put the cherries. I've been reading that some boil the cherry puree in the last 10 minutes of the boil and some rack onto cherries in a secondary. What about putting cherry puree into the mash like some people do pumpkin? If I were to rack onto cherries in a secondary, would I be able to get decent cherry flavor from doing that?

Thanks!

I would suggest racking onto the fruit in secondary. The reason for that is because by then, the majority of the fermentation is complete and the escaping co2 won't take the cherry aroma along with it.

I haven't heard of anyone adding the puree during the mash.

I've added fresh (pitted) cherries (the dark-red, not sour) at the end of the boil (0 min) for an extract brew and racked on to cherries in the secondary in an all grain brew. Both batches got about 2.5 pounds of the cherry flesh and both had a nice cherry flavor that wan't over powering -- more of an ale with a hint of cherry rather than a cherry beer. Considering the batches were separated by a year I didn't taste much difference in the cherry flavor. When I do another, I'll rack on to them in the secondary, I'm confident that there's enough alcohol to prevent an infection.

Latest posts

Back