Cherry Melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This thread explains the details: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/cherry-melomel-started-159408/

but here's the mead pr0n :tank:

Cherries

cherries_small.jpg

Pitting Cherries

pitting_cherries_small.jpg

Melomel

cherry_mead2_small.jpg

Fermenting

cherry_mead_1_28_10_small.jpg

Done with Primary

cherry_mead_2_2_10_small.jpg

Secondary (another ~5lbs cherries)

cherry_mead_2_15_10.jpg

March 1

cherry_mead_3_1_10_small.jpg

Um, so how much would a bottle of that cost me?? Seriously, that looks delicious! :)

I made a Cherry Melomel last year.

I brewed it on 22 May and bottled on 22 Nov 2009.

OG: 1.090
FG: 1.001

9.345% ABW, 11.681% ABV

Very pretty in the glass and tastes more like a wine.

I'm drinking a Prickly Pear Mead that I made sometime in 2007. It's mellowed out a lot. It used to have a thick aloe-type flavor to it. It's mostly gone now. Very tasty.

never had a melomel before, but that looks damn tasty:mug:

make one! It's easier than beer! Just takes a lot longer! :D

Um, so how much would a bottle of that cost me?? Seriously, that looks delicious! :)

It will hopefully be very delicious in a year or so!

agreed, would love to see what this tastes like. :mug:

Once I bottle this, I'm gonna hide at least 80% of the bottles so I don't try them for a year. I made a raspberry melomel 11/07 (bottled 3/08) that I wish I kept more of. I have a sixer left that I'm holding on to for as long as I can.

I made a Cherry Melomel last year.

I brewed it on 22 May and bottled on 22 Nov 2009.

OG: 1.090
FG: 1.001

9.345% ABW, 11.681% ABV

Very pretty in the glass and tastes more like a wine.

I'm drinking a Prickly Pear Mead that I made sometime in 2007. It's mellowed out a lot. It used to have a thick aloe-type flavor to it. It's mostly gone now. Very tasty.

What kind of honey and cherries did you use Bill?

I use local honey from the health food store.

Recipe is basically:

11 lbs (almost 1 gallon)
2 lbs Corn Sugar
5 tsp Yeast Nutrient
46 oz (1.36 liter) Montmorancy Cherry Juice (from Fareway)
1 vial WLP720 Sweet Mead Yeast
top off to 5.5 gals

Ferment out for 1 month then rack.

Add 1 can (3 lbs, 1 oz) of Oregon Sweet Cherry Puree.

Ferment out for 1 month then rack.

Add 2 lbs (frozen) Bing Cherries.

Ferment out for 1 month then rack off of trub.

Let bulk age and clear for 4 months.

OK, those comments are from my notes.

I also noted that I would make changes next time like not using the cherry juice and use some Cherry Pie Filling (why? I don't know...there were just comments I made while sampling)

You can do anything different. ;)

My coworker (winemaker) says it tastes like a good Merlot. I think she's gotten 3 bottles from me already so she would know. She got the 3rd bottle this week since it was her birthday.

Melomels are freaking fantastic. I have a buddy who owns a Meadery in Ohio (Brothers Drake fine Meads) their Scarlet Solstice melomel is possibly my most favorite drink on the planet.

Thats Awesome!!! I currently have a sherry melomel going that I just put in secondary. Did you add any extract or anything? I had 10lbs tart cherries in primary, and just racked on to an extra 5 last week. Right now mine seems very very light as compared to yours?? Im at 14.9% so I stabilized going into secondary. Im hoping the 5lbs will back sweeten and darken up a little bit.

Any suggestions of how you got that beautiful color?

Thats Awesome!!! I currently have a sherry melomel going that I just put in secondary. Did you add any extract or anything? I had 10lbs tart cherries in primary, and just racked on to an extra 5 last week. Right now mine seems very very light as compared to yours?? Im at 14.9% so I stabilized going into secondary. Im hoping the 5lbs will back sweeten and darken up a little bit.

Any suggestions of how you got that beautiful color?

Pure luck :D

What kinda cherries did you use?

I wish i could have a sample so i knew if i like it before i made it...
Then again, It looks so good!!!!

Hmmmm Might be a good winter project soon as i get this bathroom remodel done.

looks very good, did you use any fining agents, like sparkeloid? Or did you just let time and careful racking do the work? Also ho much mead did you loose to the fruit? My Rapberry and Blackberry melomels lost about a third.

looks very good, did you use any fining agents, like sparkeloid? Or did you just let time and careful racking do the work? Also ho much mead did you loose to the fruit? My Rapberry and Blackberry melomels lost about a third.

Just time.....and three rackings after I got it off the fruit.

It was a three gallon batch, and yeah, I lost almost a gallon because of fruit. What I did was make a gallon of show mead at the same time (3lbs orange blossom honey, water to one gallon, same yeast, etc.), and when I racked off the fruit I topped off with the show mead (and then racked the rest of the show mead into a 64oz growler so I could keep headspace down and use it again during further rackings. It seemed to work.

Latest posts

Back