Chemists/scavengers report in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_the_greek

Reaction score
I'm obviously a new guy around here, but I've been really getting into this brewing because of the % of my financial aid that microbrew is eating. A big question of mine though is who is here uses old pyrex for various tasks in their brewing? I've got some 1 and 2 liter flasks that i'm going to start using for my yeast starters, all kinds of various beakers and graduated cylanders. Alot of this stuff is proving usefull but so much is just sitting. lets here some good ideas guys. I'm thinking of trying to find a LARGE (2+ liter) seperatory funnel to make some experimental batches. with the stopcock on the bottom I could simply seperate out my yeast, let it ferment alittle longer and then attach some hose and fill bottles. Bring out some creativity, I need some more ideas!!

Oh, ofcourse everything is cleaned VERY well

Out of curiosity, why so much additional glassware? Are you just borrowing it for the semester, or are you up to something more sinister than brewing?:drunk:

I get to take any excess glassware from my lab for brewing too, but usually it's not that handy. I've got enough distillation equipment in boxes to start a (very) small scale moonshine operation, but thankfully I've outgrown the white lightnin'. The only Erlenmeyer flasks that I've been able to find are 4L, which is a bit large for starters, but I still use it. The beakers are great for taste testing and mixing up clarifying agents. Try to get your hands on a quality hydrometer as the ones sold in most brew kits are junk(but they are better than nothing).

happy brewing,
Matt

I use E flasks to proof yeast and hydrate gelatin (both using a mag stirrer - you need one of those - get it before you graduate).

Early on, I used to take a match head size of liquid yeast in a 250 ml flask, spin 2 days, step up to a 500, then to a 1,000 After 6 days, I had approximately 5-6 equivalent tubes of yeast. This taught me how much they really grow, and made me do a lot of research into sanitation & sterilization. I even made my own innoculation loops with s/s welding wire (not pretty, but they worked).

It was fun, did pitch most into wort and got good beer, but it got to be a pain - have much less time now than I did 4 years ago.

I'd keep everything if you can and pull from storage items as you need and figure out a use for them.

Latest posts

Back