Cheers from Maine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OakPond

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is my first post on here. I just got my Deluxe Brewing Starter Kit from Northern Brewer yesterday from UPS. Picking up my kettle and burner today. Been looking for a good forum to talk brewing with and get some advise on where to start. I'm a senior Biology major and I'm very interested in the science behind this whole process, and looking to have some fun as well.

Welcome from another Maine home brewer. You came to the right place. You can find plenty of information and advice covering every aspect of home brewing here. If you don't already have it, I highly recommend John Palmer's book "How to Brew". It has all the basic info to get started as well some more advanced info that a Biology major might enjoy.

Where in Maine you from? I'm from Sidney, small town between Augusta and Waterville. The Brew supply stores here are few and far between from what I've seen. I went to Maniac Brewing Company LLC in Gardnier, ME last week to check it out. It was small, but had a good selection. Picked up a hydrometer and a few other nic-nacks.

and another Mainer welcomes you. The Portland store seems to have more stuff but I have yet to get there. I have not been impressed with the Farmington store. The Gardiner guy is helpful but his supplies (ingredients) are limited. I get most stuff online from Austin or Northern Brewer.

Welcome to the community. :mug: I grew up in Oakland, I love the lakes region!

Cider123 said:
and another Mainer welcomes you. The Portland store seems to have more stuff but I have yet to get there. I have not been impressed with the Farmington store. The Gardiner guy is helpful but his supplies (ingredients) are limited. I get most stuff online from Austin or Northern Brewer.

Yeah I ordered my stuff from Northern Brewer as well. I went to him specifically looking for a hydrometer because it didn't come with my starter kit (got the glass carboy deluxe kit from Northern Brewer), and wasn't disappointed. Ended up picking up 3 packages of caps, and a few cases of bottles as well. Overall, if you're looking for the basics, but don't want to wait around for the stuff to come in he seems like a pretty solid go-to guy.

Glad to see Maine has a little presence on here. Any of you guys grow your own hops? After being on this site for a couple days and snooping around I'm getting into the idea starting a few next spring.

boydster said:
Welcome to the community. :mug: I grew up in Oakland, I love the lakes region!

Hey man! I graduated from Messalonskee in 08'. Shoot me a PM if you're still in the area! I live in Oakland now.

Welcome to the obsession from a fellow Mainer, I'm in the Lewiston area, I'm pretty new to the hobby myself and this site has been a huge help getting my process right.

Where in Maine you from? I'm from Sidney, small town between Augusta and Waterville. The Brew supply stores here are few and far between from what I've seen. I went to Maniac Brewing Company LLC in Gardnier, ME last week to check it out. It was small, but had a good selection. Picked up a hydrometer and a few other nic-nacks.

I'm in So. Portland. Maine Homebrew Supply in Portland is a great store, I'm in there about every other week. They almost always have everything I need. The Hop Shop in Gray is pretty good too, just smaller than the Portland store. My brother home brews too, and we have started growing hops on his property. We didn't get much this year, but hopefully next year we'll get a better crop.

Heyo! I'm a brand new brewer in South Portland. I went to Maine Brewing Supply the other day for a funnel and strainer and was super-impressed. I'm going back there tomorrow to get their Maine Brewing Supply American Pale Ale all grain kit, which I'm cooking up this Saturday with a buddy. Welcome!

I'm in So. Portland. Maine Homebrew Supply in Portland is a great store, I'm in there about every other week. They almost always have everything I need. The Hop Shop in Gray is pretty good too, just smaller than the Portland store. My brother home brews too, and we have started growing hops on his property. We didn't get much this year, but hopefully next year we'll get a better crop.

I made my first trip to The Maine Brewing Supply a few weeks ago taking a peek at some equiptment. I had never seen a Blichman Burner in person before and I was amazed how huge they are! Picked up some hops, yeast and an flask.

Back