Cheers from Kansas City!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksbeerlover80

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just joined this forum hoping to learn as much as possible about homebrewing from people that do it on a regular basis.

I welcome your input and look forward to many years of happy homebrewing for all of us!

I will be in the Kansas City area here in the near future. Are there any Home Brew shops that you would recommend...

TD

Welcome! I'm in Wichita and make it up to KC a few times a year. Last time up I took the Boulevard tour--have you visited the brewery yet?

I just started brewing, so I am not sure what shops exist in my area.

I have not visited the Boulevard brewery, though I do live nearby. I have plans to do this in the next few months, if my schedule cooperates.

RichBrewer: My first beer was born on 2.9.08! We are tasting it for the first time on Monday, 3.3.08!

As for my favorite beers, I lean toward the dark side (Guinness, Harp, SA Cream Stout, SA Black Ale, SA Honey Porter, etc.) but I do dabble in the lighter beers (St. Pauli Girl, Peroni, Boulder Brewing Company's Singletrack Copper Ale, etc.).

Another person in the area is great.

There is a pretty good store in Olathe that is called Homebrew Pro Shoppe and I believe there is also one in Lee's Summit as well by the same name.

I'm new as well. That shop in Olathe is really good! I live on the Missouri side of Kansas City and the 40 minute trip is well worth it. I've brewed 2 extracts so far from there. A Boulevard clone and the winterfest. I'll be trying the Boulevard for the first time in a couple of days and I plan on letting the winterfest ferment for a while before bottling. Looking forward to it!

I live in Olathe, and the one people are mentioning is www.brewcat.com. Sure, it is nice to have a LHBS so close, but I can't say I'm overly impressed with the place. They charge 20 cents a pound to grind the grain. I know this isn't much, but it seems like everyone else's LHBS does it for free. The lady that works there most of the time knows absolutely nothing about brewing beer, and I mean zero. I was hoping they would do a "brew day", that I read other LHBS stores doing, or would have similar events, but they don't. Charlie, the owner, seems like a pretty nice guy, and I would guess he's the one that makes all their extract kit recipes. I've only seen him in there once, maybe twice.

The other LHBS in the area is www.bacchus-barleycorn.com, but I've never visited their place, so I can't comment much about it.

There is a kc brew club: http://www.kcbiermeisters.org/. I really want to join up, but none of their dates have worked out for me. There is also another club in nearby Lawrence, http://lawrencebrewers.org/main/. I've heard they do a lot of group buys, to get good deals on grains and such.

That's all I know about the area. I'm pretty new to brewing as well, so take what I said with a grain of salt (and a homebrew).

I'll have to try the other one that theschick mentioned. I thought the lady that works there was very helpful. She took the time to answer all my rookie questions and give a little advise too. I don't know about grinding grain. Haven't gotten that far into it yet. Figure once I go all grain, I'll own all the equipment I need. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back