Checking rhizome health

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenjaminBier

Reaction score
Is there a method for checking on rhizome health before we get into the growing season?

We had to move last year after the growing season was over, so we transplanted our rhizomes which were already going into dormancy. I'm concerned because we were in a rush and did not take good care of them while transplanting, we just dug them up, threw them in plastic bags, and put them into the ground at our new house 3 or 4 days later.

If I were to gently unearth one, would I just check that it's not dried out / shriveled / molded? We're having an early spring, so I thought I might look to see if there's any new growth. Or would that do more harm than good?

Oregon - it's almost spring here already, and we're having unseasonably nice weather now, that's what's got me thinking about it.

I don't know that I'd disturb them at this point. You might be having nice weather, but it's still winter. I'd let let them be. If they weren't transplanted properly the damage has already been done. If you uproot them now and mess with them and the weather turns cold quickly, that could do further damage.

I'm no expert, but I'd let them be and hope for the best. Maybe buy another rhizome or two just in case yours don't take off, you can at least get a head start on new plants.

I don't know that I'd disturb them at this point. You might be having nice weather, but it's still winter. I'd let let them be. If they weren't transplanted properly the damage has already been done. If you uproot them now and mess with them and the weather turns cold quickly, that could do further damage.

I'm no expert, but I'd let them be and hope for the best. Maybe buy another rhizome or two just in case yours don't take off, you can at least get a head start on new plants.

+1, I'm sure they're fine. If they are starting to send out shoots, you could do more harm than good by digging them up. Based on my experience, they seem to be pretty durable plants. I transplanted a bunch last year and wasn't very careful and they all did fine.

I'm on board with the above comments. Once the crown has a years' worth of stored energy accumulated, it can withstand quite a bit of abuse. What you did doesn't even come close to abuse. Time for a BEER now!

Latest posts

Back