checking gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordzilla

Reaction score
Usually when i take my starting gravity i take a small sample out of the fermenter before adding the yeast and test it out of a glass test tube. I was wondering if when i started taking my final gravity readings after a couple weeks in the fermenter could i just drop the sanitized hydrometer into the fermenting bucket to get my reading or should i use a test tube again?

I wouldn't see any reason why not, as long as you're sure that the hydrometer is definitely sanitized.
I would've probably tried it before also except I use carboys to ferment and it'd be hard to get it back out once it's dropped in.

i only use my carboys as secondarys ive found that cleaning all the yeast and trub out of carboys is pretty difficult even with the specialized carboy cleaning products....and plastic buckets work great and are cheaper too

If there is any krausen it is impossible to read the hydrometer. That being said, if you are taking your FG reading I am assuming you are getting ready to bottle/keg, so why not just draw off a sample and measure it in your tube? Or if you are transferring to a secondary, grab some from the siphon tube. I use buckets with spigots so taking readings is fairly easy.

That being said, it the top of the brew is free of crud and you don't want to draw any off, then go for it. I would just say don't do it like that too much as removing the lid will introduce oxygen to the head space. Find what works best for you, play around with it.

Back