Check my math

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumpher

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My Brewers Edge Mash and Boil fried it's power cord. I need to wire in a new 1. Thinking 14 gauge. Max 1600w, 15 amps, 10-12 feet, single phase 120.

There are online calculators for this.

Wiring is interesting. I was told to use enormous cables (8 gauge) for a 5-HP 1-phase motor, but when I looked at the motor, the wires the manufacturer put in it were something much smaller.

For 15 feet and open air (like a power cord), one calculator gives 12 gauge. This is for 90 degrees C insulation.

http://wiresizecalculator.net/

Last edited:
My Brewers Edge Mash and Boil fried it's power cord. I need to wire in a new 1. Thinking 14 gauge. Max 1600w, 15 amps, 10-12 feet, single phase 120.

1600W @ 120V is ~13A.

NEC tables show 14ga flexible cord, such as the SJx and SOx types have rated capacity of 18A @ 86F (considering two current-carrying conductors).

Your max load is approximately 13A so there is plenty of cushion in current carrying with 14ga. With 13A in 12ft of 14ga cable the voltage drop is negligible so no point to use thicker wire from that perspective either. 14ga is good choice.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back