Cheating on a 90 minute boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masaba

Reaction score
I do my brewing inside on a 7.5 gallon pot. I have no problem doing a 60 minute boil; but I have to start out with about 6.25 gallons of wort to end up with 5 gallons. A 90 minute boil requires about 6.9 gallons of wort, leaving me precious little head space in case of a boil over.

Would it work to boil something like 6 gallons in my main pot and 1 gallon in a separate pot for the first 30 minutes of the boil, then mix the two at the 60 minute mark to get the required volume of wort?

Thanks.

Why don't u just boil 6 gallons and then top off with water in the carboy to reach your volume? I also brew with a 7.5 gallon pot and this what I've done on several occasions...

Due to some research I'm actually planning on attempting a 10 gallon batch this way

The general consensus is that it might affect hop utilization but its fine otherwise...I'm brewing a cream ale so this doesn't worry me

masaba- yes it is possible to do a separate 1G boil and add it back toward the end. It's a technique done with malty-type beers like Scottish Wee Heavy. It will increase the 'malty- character' of your beer.
I've done it in the past with a Wee Heavy and a Doublebock.

4 drops of Fermcap will also help prevent boil overs. Use it regardless of head space volume.

I think your original idea would work well Masaba, it's what I would do. If you boil off a little too much you can always add some water at the 60 min point to compensate.

As others have mentioned, this will work well. I do this to mimic the mallaird reactions I'd get from a 120min boil in 60min. I reduce the 1gal mini boil to a thin syrup then add it back in. I then add more water if needed to adjust

Latest posts

Back