Cheapest Beer Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dxp1113

Reaction score
Hey I am trying to find the cheapest recipe, only including ingredients. I have all the equipment but I would like to make an affordable great tasting brew for my roommates to indulge. :mug:

A basic Heffe Weisen is easy and cheap, I use liquid yeast and you might be able to use a dry yeast to cut some cost, but your also going to clip out a lot of the charachter too.
My spelling sux.
6 lbs of dme, 5 gallons of water, 1 packet of yeast and an ounce of hops, all in you can do it around $29 to $35 for good ingredients. Shop around a bit and maybe a little less but remember shipping

lite american cream ale:

4lbs 2-row
2lbs rice
1/4oz high-alpha hops
1 pack of US-05 or Nottingham

http://hopville.com/recipe/364187/cream-ale-recipes/lite-cream-ale

All-grain. This should be around 1.035 and a little under 4% ABV. All said, you can probably get the ingredients for six or seven bucks. Less, if you re-use a yeast cake from a previous batch.

Won't taste like much.

Hefeweizen is good, and has the virtue of being ready to drink soon. If you don't like the phenols and esters of hefeweizens, you can make an American Wheat by using something like S-05 instead of hefeweizen yeast. It might cut a couple of bucks off of your total

Irish red is also pretty low-cost. Steep some crystal malts and roasted barley for color and bitter with challenger, fuggles, or EKG.

All-grain is cheaper in the long-term, but you will have some additional start-up costs and it will take more time.

I have all the equipment, im just looking for a cheap ingredient recipe

Cream ale would be a good choice from what I've read. 6-row + maize is dirt cheap.

Most english pale ales can also be made at little cost. Basically anything that can be brewed with mostly 2-row and maybe a little adjunct or speciality grain will work nicely. I'm looking at brewing a basic Blonde Ale for Christmas parties and to have something to drink while playing cards:

5 gal. batch:

7 lbs two-row
12 oz Crystal 40L
4 oz Flaked barley
8 oz Clove Honey

1 oz Hallertauer (60 min)

Mash at 148 for 90 minutes.

Total cost, about 12-14$ since I'll be washing yeast and using speciality grains before they go bad on me.

Where I live, I can get 16 oz of instant grits for 1.50, and rice for probably less than that. Sub a couple pounds of that in there and you can get a really cheap beer.

Search for a SMASH recipe. Should be able to find something good and cheap.

Is there a good SMASH guide? I find a lot of "I'm going to try this...." posts with little follow up. I was thinking about going the SMASH route on a few batches for fast/cheap brews to learn about the properties of a few varieties.

There should be a seciton in recipies for this, I think.

Cheapest one I've done was BM's Centennial Blonde, for about $15. Those cream ale recipes, though, look about as cheap as it gets.

Is there a good SMASH guide? I find a lot of "I'm going to try this...." posts with little follow up. I was thinking about going the SMASH route on a few batches for fast/cheap brews to learn about the properties of a few varieties.

There should be a seciton in recipies for this, I think.

Here is a good thread on SMASH'

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/help-me-choose-my-smash-101649/

Post #21 is helpful. I did DeathBrewer's Vienna/Northern Brewer SMASH. Seems like it was very good.

Ok so I got 2lbs of rice, 4lbs of Pale Grains and .25 ounce of Chinook hops. Brewed it the other day, Ill let you know how it comes out. I spent about $12 all together were I live.

Latest posts

Back