Cheap stock pots anywhere?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadiator

Reaction score
I'm having trouble justifying buying a ten gallon stock pot for eighty big ones. Looked around in the selling section, and on ebay, and on craigslist, and still no luck. Does anyone have any recommendations? The only thing I can think of is going with aluminum, but I was told that the acidity of the brew can conflict with the aluminum.

Aluminum is fine if you are careful with cleaning. With the correct treatment (which is marginally more complicated than stainless) an aluminum pot with last almost forever.

What kind of careful treatment would e involved? Would you say it's worth it to just spend the extra money for steel?

Aluminum is great for brewing. Heats and cools quickly, lightweight, easy to drill, recommended not to thoroughly clean them, and very affordable. Just boil water in it for 30-45 mins before the first use to create the gray passive oxide layer. Don't scrub that off (just wipe clean with a sponge and water) and it should last a lifetime. Amazon has a 40qt aluminum pot for under $40 last I checked.

So I won't have to create a new oxide layer every time that I use it, right?

What does an oxide layer do, anyway? Sorry, I'm a serious beer noob lol.

Got a restaurant supply company nearby? Might be able to find cheap stuff there.

Aluminum is fine. That's what I use.

Northern Brewer has a deal going right now too. Spend $100 and get a free 5g ss kettle. I think it ends today though...

So I won't have to create a new oxide layer every time that I use it, right?

What does an oxide layer do, anyway? Sorry, I'm a serious beer noob lol.

Just don't scrub the hell out of it, and it'll last forever. I use an 8g turkey fryer setup. I like to brew outside. In the sun, or in the snow. Doesn't matter. I'm drunk anyways...

Just don't scrub the hell out of it, and it'll last forever. I use an 8g turkey fryer setup. I like to brew outside. In the sun, or in the snow. Doesn't matter. I'm drunk anyways...

+1.

When I said special care, I didn't mean anything really special. You just have to be sure not to scrub it til it shines. A good wipe and rinse is all you need. As was mentioned, boil first to create the passive oxide layer.

The oxide layer protects the bare metal. If you have bare aluminum, you may get some off flavors from it.

+1.

When I said special care, I didn't mean anything really special. You just have to be sure not to scrub it til it shines. A good wipe and rinse is all you need. As was mentioned, boil first to create the passive oxide layer.

The oxide layer protects the bare metal. If you have bare aluminum, you may get some off flavors from it.

So I don't need to redo the oxide layer again unless bare metal starts showing then?

Sounds like a better deal than S.S., really.

Did you try webrestaurant.com? Good selection and decent prices.

So I don't need to redo the oxide layer again unless bare metal starts showing then?

Sounds like a better deal than S.S., really.

Right. As long as you don't scrub it until it shines, don't worry about it. Lots of people use aluminum with no issue.

I use a cheap aluminum tamale steamer I bought at Target. It works fine. As they said, boil some water in it before you use it the first time and that's it.

I am using these pots: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...1.A0.Xjarhill&_nkw=jarhill&_sacat=0&_from=R40

They are thin-gauge and very light. They are also magnetic, which is nice if you want to use induction heating. I had to solder at the handle rivets. One had a very small hole that I was able to fix with lead-free solder as well. If none of this scares you, you might give them a try. The price is very good.

Good price for a 10G pot. Just do the boil water bit to get that oxide layer going & it'll work. I started brewing 1/11 & found that during that time,canning supplies are cheap. I got 4 nested,polished stainless steel stock pots with steamer trays & lids for about $25. I use the 5 gallon one for a BK/MT & one of the smaller ones for heating sparge water.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PZBEKE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

This is what I think I'll go with. Really good reviews, mostly from other brewers. Any objections or things I should be aware of?

This is ok, but you could probably beat that price at a local place. Around here we have a restaurant supply store called cash and carry. They have a pot that size, for that base price, and I can walk out the door with it. I also don't have to pay shipping. You likely don't have the same store where you are, but you might have something similar. The local restaurants probably buy from somewhere locally, right?

Tl;dr that pot will work but I bet you can get it cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had great success with wholesale restaurant stores, the ones that usually sell straight to restaurants. I found one in Chinatown an scored a sweet pot for cheap.

Craigslist can be good, but like you probably imagined it is very hit or miss-
Mainly a waiting game.

I don't really have the option of a LHBS. The nearest is too far away to consider. That also goes for equipment areas, minus Walmart. So I'm just seeing what the cheapest I could find one for online is.

I don't really have the option of a LHBS. The nearest is too far away to consider. That also goes for equipment areas, minus Walmart. So I'm just seeing what the cheapest I could find one for online is.

How about an outlet mall? Nearly all of them have a kitchenware store or two that sell both ss and aluminum pots, and often have scratch and dent on clearance for even cheaper. Just another option that might be available to you.

The real question is, do you want to spend 20/25$ 2 or 3 times before you get something good... I went that way and end up spending 99 on one that I like, if I would have done that from the get go I would have 2 kettle that I like now... just saying...

The real question is, do you want to spend 20/25$ 2 or 3 times before you get something good... I went that way and end up spending 99 on one that I like, if I would have done that from the get go I would have 2 kettle that I like now... just saying...

Did you end up breaking yours or something like that? Or did you just not like them?

I use a cheap aluminum tamale steamer I bought at Target. It works fine. As they said, boil some water in it before you use it the first time and that's it.

+1 to the tamale steamer. It was actually only $22 at my local Target.

I kinda wish I had a 10 gallon but so far I haven't had any trouble just having 8.

+1 to the tamale steamer. It was actually only $22 at my local Target.

I kinda wish I had a 10 gallon but so far I haven't had any trouble just having 8.

I'm able to do 5.5 gallon batches with the exact same kettle. I agree that the 10 would be nice so I had a bit of room. However, I'm extremely happy with the Target tamale steamer as a brew pot. Plus drilling the hole for my ball valve was super simple since it's aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You could check Lowes. I saw an aluminum 10 gal with lid and insert (BIAB) for $50 and you are almost that without the lid

You would have to seriously abuse an aluminum pot to need to replace it and if you're that rough on it the average thin walled stainless pot is going to need replacing as well.

I use this 40q aluminum pot. Heavier gauge than most, I drilled it to add a spigot and had no flexing at all. Very sturdy. It was less than $40 when I first bought it though. Free shipping for prime:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CHKL68/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The only thing I'd be cautious about is the size.
If you're brewing 5 gallons on a fryer setup in a 10 gallon pot, it's just a matter of time before you'll want to do 10 gallons.
The step up to a 15 gallon pot is relatively small.
Just Sayin.
Bull

The only thing I'd be cautious about is the size.
If you're brewing 5 gallons on a fryer setup in a 10 gallon pot, it's just a matter of time before you'll want to do 10 gallons.
The step up to a 15 gallon pot is relatively small.
Just Sayin.
Bull

I don't think it's a given that everyone that is currently doing 5 gallon batches will eventually want to do 10. Most of the homebrew supply houses seem to be geared for 5 gallon brews, and much more than 5 gallons would get too heavy to move around. I don't see myself ever wanting to brew more than 5 gallons at a time.

Now it you said that some 5 gallons batches would require a pot bigger than 10 gallons than would be a factor.

I've had 5 gallon batches boil over my 10 gallon pot. For 90 min boils I need a pre boil volume of 7.5 gallons, 7 gallons for 60 mins. How on earth are people doing 5 gallon batches in an 8 gallon kettle? Must be topping off, or just settling for less in the fermenter I guess.

I've had 5 gallon batches boil over my 10 gallon pot. For 90 min boils I need a pre boil volume of 7.5 gallons, 7 gallons for 60 mins. How on earth are people doing 5 gallon batches in an 8 gallon kettle? Must be topping off, or just settling for less in the fermenter I guess.

I have a 30qt pot and I do 5 gallon batches without issue - no topping off. I end up with slightly more than 5 gallons in primary to make up for trub losses. I actually had to leave a little behind on my last batch because I don't like filling kegs past the level of the gas-in tube. (Not to hijack, but can I cut that shorter? Never thought of it until now.)

I just did some quick web surfing, and found a nice 40 quart aluminum stock pot AND lid for about $45.00 at a restaurant supply store in Rockford, IL...the largest city near me. I would agree with the post that encouraged buying local...you can find good deals, and not have to pay shipping costs.

glenn514:mug:

I just bought the 8 gal tamale steamer at Target for $11 on clearance. Should be worth checking your local Target in case they are clearing theirs out as well.

I have a 30qt pot and I do 5 gallon batches without issue - no topping off. I end up with slightly more than 5 gallons in primary to make up for trub losses. I actually had to leave a little behind on my last batch because I don't like filling kegs past the level of the gas-in tube. (Not to hijack, but can I cut that shorter? Never thought of it until now.)

That makes sense, I shoot for 6 gallons post boil, and put 5.5 in the fermenter. I usually save any excess for making starters and as fresh wort for my harvested yeast. I fill my kegs to about a half inch below the gas diptube consistently so if I'm priming the keg, I know how much sugar to add. I'd much rather have excess than not enough. I guess if I had to, I could make 5 gallon batches without the elbow room. Nice to have it though, and I'd relax even more if I had more than I've got.

I don't think trimming the gas tube would hurt anything.

Do I need to get a lid to brew, or is it just something to keep the stock pot covered when I'm not using r?

I just did some quick web surfing, and found a nice 40 quart aluminum stock pot AND lid for about $45.00 at a restaurant supply store in Rockford, IL...the largest city near me. I would agree with the post that encouraged buying local...you can find good deals, and not have to pay shipping costs.

glenn514:mug:

I use the same 40 QT Win ware pot from Amazon mentioned earlier.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CHKL68/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You don't need the lid if you are doing traditional 3 vessel brewing with a cooler mashtun. If you find you need a lidt there are some super cheap ghetto options. I did not get a lid for mine initially and use a peice of particle board wrapped in tin foil. UGLY AS SIN, but it worked. If you are going to BIAB, get the lid it is worth it.

Also note, that pot is SUPER tough. I don't know what it would take to damage it. It is 1/4 inch thick aluminum. I think you could use it as a car jack in a pinch if you needed to (not that I'd treat my brewing gear that way.)

Stainless is great, but if you are really looking to brew and budget is a factor, there is no reason not to use Aluminum pots. As far as the danger of cleaning the oxide layer off, I think you would need an angle grinder to buff through that layer after a few brews. I use a soft scubby on mine to get the dried on gunk off and have no issues with getting close to cutting the oxide layer.

Do I need to get a lid to brew, or is it just something to keep the stock pot covered when I'm not using r?

You don't NEED a lid to brew, but it is nice to have a lid. Heating water or wort will go quicker with a covered pot, boil uncovered. A lid is also handy if your cooled wort is sitting out for a few minute, you can slap a lid on the pot to prevent any thing airborne form falling in, not a big deal, just kinda nice to have IMO.

Might watch overstock.com. I picked up a nice 8 gal SS pot with a very heavy bottom (I do 3 to 4 gal batches so I can do more of them) for 60 bucks. Seems to be a good place for occasional deals.

Back