Cheap Sanke Keg fermenter Conversion kit (Completed!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So today I managed to get my hands on a spare Sanke Keg and would really like to put this fermenter together. I love the whole concept and idea, thanks for sharing.

With that said, can you update with everything actually attached? I'm trying to bend my head around how you seal off the racking cane and how the spunding valve attaches (as well as how you hook up any extra needed CO2 to push out the beer).

Be patient, I'm new to fabricating.

Kind of resurrecting an older thread but wondering about how to inspect my new (used) keg. Most telescoping mirrors are 2" which don't fit and the smaller ones seem to be hard to see much with. I was wondering how people solve this? Which mirror are you using? Anyone try something like a flexible camera (borescope) for $50 - or something similar for cheaper?: http://www.amazon.com/Vividia-Flexible-Inspection-Borescope-Endoscope/dp/B004WY9F7E

Last edited by a moderator:
Soak the keg with pbw and then starsan, as long as the liquid runs pretty clear, you know you don't have rust and now it's actually clean and holding water.

Thinking about making one of these with an extra 15 gallon sanke keg I have however there would be a ton of head space when fermenting a 5 gallon batch. Is that something I should worry about in a primary?

I've considered that as well, although I'm thinking of building a conical out of a big old pot I have and the total volume might be 20 or more gallons. And I only do 10 gal. batches. I also have converted a sanke keg and might do 10 and even 5 gallon batches in that. I think the headspace is nothing to worry about since it fills up with CO2 pretty quick. Also, there's that old style where they brew in open vats - never tried it but I imagine that is good beer too.

Kind of resurrecting an older thread but wondering about how to inspect my new (used) keg. Most telescoping mirrors are 2" which don't fit and the smaller ones seem to be hard to see much with. I was wondering how people solve this? Which mirror are you using? Anyone try something like a flexible camera (borescope) for $50 - or something similar for cheaper?: http://www.amazon.com/Vividia-Flexible-Inspection-Borescope-Endoscope/dp/B004WY9F7E

Dental mirror
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F2ACY6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of questions on transferring under pressure to serving keg..

Do you just accept the first blast of sediment when transferring or is there a tidy way of clearing this off?

I brew 10g batches and serve in 5 gal cornies - to avoid overfilling, is a scale the only way to go?

Thx - about to take the plunge, but want to think it through first

A couple of questions on transferring under pressure to serving keg..

Do you just accept the first blast of sediment when transferring or is there a tidy way of clearing this off?

I brew 10g batches and serve in 5 gal cornies - to avoid overfilling, is a scale the only way to go?

Thx - about to take the plunge, but want to think it through first

My process is to cold crash then blow off the trub that forms around the pick up tube. Once the hose runs clear, I transfer. To blow the trub out with this set up, I'll use a cup or bowl and depress the coupler and let it blast into the container. But the easiest is to use a picnic tab to blow it out then swap with the liquid to liquid jumper, but with this set up you'll have to be able to swap them with out losing pressure.

Normally this also gives the serving keg a nice layer of condensation to show where the liquid line is. However, a scale works too.

The liquid will be clear until the fermenter is empty. If I get to that point before my I serving keg is full, the line clouds up so I pop the coupler off the serving keg as fast as I can.

Awesome! I've been considering buying a conical but just couldn't justify the cost. Can't wait to try this!

Back