Cheap Plate Heat Exchanger too good to be true?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too. I've had my shirron for about 3 years and I've never had a problem with this method.

I don't have a self cleaning oven either...i just put it in for a half hour or so at 500 degrees, flush it out. Sometimes I do another soak in PBW but I never see crud come out anyway, so that is even a fruitless step IMHO.
wondering, what happens if you just back-flush with a cleaning solution, like vinegar? isn't it enough?

Look for the link in post #3 for Duda Diesel.. he still sells the 30 plate for $75 bucks plus shipping.. we bought two of them for our nano, and I bought the 20plate version for my home use.

wondering, what happens if you just back-flush with a cleaning solution, like vinegar? isn't it enough?

Vinegar isn't a cleaning solution. Plate heat exchangers can be cleaned very easily if you use a pump. The first thing is to back flush with water. This will push out all the big chunks. Next, put about a gallon of warm to hot water in a two gallon bucket with an alkaline cleaner, such as PBW. Stick the hose connected to the inlet of the pump into the bucket of cleaning solution. Connect the output of the pump to the outlet of the heat exchanger. Connect a hose to the inlet of the heat exchanger. Start pumping the cleaner through the HE. Hold the hose from the inlet of the HE slightly above the bucket so you can observe the liquid coming out. You will see a color change in the liquid when the cleaner starts to remove the organic soils from the plate. Do not allow the darker color liquid to mix with the cleaner in the bucket. In other words, let the dark stuff go down the drain. When the color is gone. Stick the hose in the bucket and allow the cleaner to recirculate for a few minutes. You ca then rinse the cleaner out with regular tap water. To finish up you can circulate some acid through the HE. This will leave the plates in an acid condition which will reduce the ability of spoilage organisms to grow. Before you use the HE again, rinse with water and circulate sanitizer through it. This same procedure can and should be used with a counter flow chiller.

Look for the link in post #3 for Duda Diesel.. he still sells the 30 plate for $75 bucks plus shipping.. we bought two of them for our nano, and I bought the 20plate version for my home use.
My bad, I didn't noticed prices at the bottom of a page. But it looks cheaper because of SS304 steel. 316L stainless steel has better corrosion resistance and should last longer, I suppose.

So, http://www.brazetek.com/allproducts is not that more expensive

Wayne, whats a source or brand of "acid"?

Phosphoric Acid is usually available at homebrew shops. Five Star makes a version with some other goodies in it called ACID 1.

Citric Acid could also be used in a higher concentration.

My preferred product is Five Star's ACID 5 which is a blend of Nitric Acid and Phosphoric Acid. It can burn you, so take care when using it. Gloves and eye protection recommended.

I really do not think that plate chillers that can not be taken apart are a good way to go when chilling wort because you really have no way to know that it is free of material inside after flushing both directions. I think you are much better off building your own counter-flow chiller or an imersion chiller. If any bacteria builds inside the plate chiller you will have instantly infected your beer when you chill your wort. If you have steam to sanitize just before chilling then it might be OK but otherwise I would not buy a furnace brazed plate chiller.
WBC, you can take them apart, but putting them back together is the hard part ;)

brazed.jpg

Great photo.

What's the best way to go from a 3/4" MPT to a 1/2" MPT? I was a greedy dope and bought a 40 plate chiller with 3/4" MPT from dudadiesel.

It just arrived but I'm thinking I should exchange it for a 30 plate with 1/2" MPT. That will make it easier when I get a pump right?

OR can I keep this sexy beast and find a pump with 3/4" MPT?

Apologies for the noob question. Thanks in advance!

Wait about 6 weeks. They are bringing in more models--like the one I'm waiting for: the 40 plate with 1/2" MPT and back mounting studs. The owner (or whatever) of Duda was kind enough to share that with me. They're on the way (from China I guess).

If not, you can just get 3/4 to 1/2 reducing couplers. I just don't want extra fittings and can wait and use my IC for now.

Back