Cheap Hazelnuts... Now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrizzAndFish

Reaction score
I just picked up three pounds of in-shell hazelnuts with no idea what to do with them. They were 99 cents per pound, usually sold at over $4. I'm currently brewing extracts, and am wondering how to incorporate these into a future brew, or if anyone has any recipes they can link me to. I'm thinking of trying something similar to Rogue Ales Hazelnut Nectar Brown Ale. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Honestly I'd use the nuts for cakes, cookies or candy and use syrup or extract to flavor the beer.

Crushed nuts make for bad head (yeah, laugh it up). You could toast, extract with grain alcohol, and add after krausen. Or eat them, and buy extract. I mean homemade would be good, but... good enough?

Rogue's is very good, but it sure tastes like it uses commercial hazelnut extract. After all, they are a brewery, not a nuttery (?).

As much as I love brewing beer, I'd make cookies with them. The old favorite family recipe from late 1800s from Germany!

Latest posts

Back