Cheap filtration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just thinking about possibly rubber banding a piece of cheesecloth around the end of the auto siphon that goes into the carboy to filter my brew as I transfer it to the bottling bucket. Anyone ever try anything like that?

Why do you want to filter it, are you getting too much sediment? And I've heard of people having a mesh filter on the rear of the siphon that's in the wort

Oh well in that case I've read of 3 things to get clearer beer.
1: let it sit longer in the fermenter
2: do primary and secondary, but then people say that increases risk of infection/unwanted aeration.
3: they find a filter system that they like, I've heard of cheese cloth, white tees, a sock, or the fine metal strainer types

Good luck

ImperialAlchemist said:
I was just thinking about possibly rubber banding a piece of cheesecloth around the end of the auto siphon that goes into the carboy to filter my brew as I transfer it to the bottling bucket. Anyone ever try anything like that?

I sanitize a hop bag and tie it onto the end of the siphon, works like a charm every time!

ImperialAlchemist said:
There's not a problem. Just trying to get clearer.

Clarity in the beer also has a lot to do with conditioning time as well, maybe your not giving the bottles enough time or taking the beer off the yeast to early as well, my hop bag suggestion will keep out the sediment but that's just part of the clarity issue. You could also have chill haze which means you are not leaving the beer in the fridge long enough.

What you want to do is a common practice for those that either dry hop or add fruit to secondary. I have read mixed threads on wheter or not this technique will introduce oxygen into the beer. there is something about as restriction builds up due to sediment being trapt by the cloth that it pulls air down the center tube and into the smaller 3/8 tube and into the beer. I can tell you from first hand expierence that bubbles do form in the tube though I'm not 100% convinced it's oxygen as if so it would oxidize the beer and I did not have that happen. Some other things you could try is a better cold break using irish miss or whirfloc and chilling with a plate or immersion chiller, this will percipitate the protein from the beer and make it clearer. you could also secondary with a gelatin fining or isinglass which acts as a clearing agent as well. good luck.

Latest posts

Back