Cheap Etekcity PH Meter callibration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cank

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought one of these ph meters and some buffer solution but I got 4,7,10.
If you look down the page it says:

PH Calibration:
1. Immerse the electrode in PH 6.86(under the temperature of 25?)Standard buffer solution of phosphate and gently shake the electrode.
2. Regulate the trimmer with a screwdriver until the buffer solution value corresponding to the measurement temperature is obtained.
3. Immerse the electrode in PH4.01 or PH 9.18 the standard buffer solution of borax.
4. After about one minute, until the buffer solution value corresponding to the measurement temperature is obtained.

DID I just screw up, or will I be able to calibrate it?

Anybody else use this PH meter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just calibrate it to the 4, 7 and 10.
Did you get the storage solution too? Be sure to rinse with distilled water, and use the storage solution every time.

I don't have that one, so I don't know. Mine has a rubber cap that you can fill & put on the probe.
Keeping the bulb hydrated with the storage solution will make the probe last much longer.

yeah just fill the lid and store vertically. After time in the storage solution, salt crystals will start to form on the outside a bit. Thats normal, just rinse is off with distilled water before using.

Be sure to rinse with distilled water, and use the storage solution every time.

I've looked all over and can't seem to find what kind of storage solution to use. Seems most pH meters use aqueous KCl, but some call for 0.1 M, some for 1 M, and some for 3-4 M (basically saturated).

Is there any issue with storing a pH meter in too concentrated KCl?

Also, would it be better to just stand the pH meter in a bottle with an inch of storage solution? Or is it safer to just put a few drops in the cap instead?

Back