Chat GPT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velnerj

Simul justus et potator
Reaction score
Have any of you toyed with that open AI chat GPT? Pretty amazing stuff. In my interactions with it I think it could replace most of the brewing software out there...though it's not perfect I suspect it will be only a matter of time (months) when it will be exponentially better.

I had it create recipes for me and also critique recipes I put in. It gave some pretty solid answers. No offense to this community but the answers I received were on par with what I get here. Not that I'm going to abandon this site or anything but certainly another tool on our toolbox.

What do you all think?

Considering they closed their data sets im not as optimistic as the OP about it getting better. Brian at Short Circuited Brewers just did a video on it...wasn't too impressed.

Don't think AI will ever master the nuance of human creativity, at least not for the next few generations. It might spit out standard recipes, but crafting a new brew....meh.

And if AI ever does master the nuance of human creativity its first act, per Skynet future history, may be to eliminate the human component altogether :eek:

Here's a conversation I had. It's not perfect but I found it interesting.

Me: Can you give me a beer recipe in metric for 20l for 75%efficiency for a American amber ale?

Chat GPT: Sure, here is a recipe for a 20-liter American Amber Ale with a 75% efficiency:

Ingredients:

7.5 kg of 2-Row Pale Malt
0.5 kg of Crystal Malt 60L
0.5 kg of Crystal Malt 120L
0.25 kg of Caramel Malt 80L
0.25 kg of Caramel Malt 120L
40 g of Centennial Hops (for bittering)
20 g of Cascade Hops (for flavor)
20 g of Willamette Hops (for aroma)
1 package of American Ale Yeast (such as Wyeast 1056 or White Labs WLP001)
Water for brewing (around 20 liters)
Instructions:

Start by heating your brewing water to around 67°C (152°F).
While your water is heating, crush your malt and set it aside.
Once your water reaches the desired temperature, begin the mash by adding your malt to the water and stirring to ensure that the malt is fully hydrated.
Hold the mash at 65°C (149°F) for 60 minutes.
After the mash is complete, begin the lautering process by separating the liquid wort from the spent grains.
Once the wort has been separated, bring it to a boil.
Add your bittering hops (Centennial) to the boil at the start of the boil and your flavor hops (Cascade) after 15 minutes.
Add your aroma hops (Willamette) in the last 2 minutes of the boil.
After the boil is complete, cool the wort to around 21°C (70°F) and transfer it to your fermenter.
Add the yeast, and ferment at 21°C (70°F) for 7-10 days or until the fermentation is complete.
Once fermentation is complete, transfer the beer to a secondary fermenter or keg.
Carbonate the beer to around 2.5 volumes of CO2 and let it sit for at least a week before serving.
Enjoy your American Amber Ale!
Please note that this is a basic recipe

Me: what would you expect the flavor profile would be for this recipe?

Chat GPT: The flavor profile of this American Amber Ale recipe will depend on the specific malt and hop varieties used, as well as the yeast strain and fermentation conditions. However, in general, you can expect the following:

Malt: The malt bill for this recipe is composed mostly of 2-Row Pale malt, which will provide a clean and biscuity base for the beer. The Crystal malt 60L and 120L will add caramel and toffee notes to the beer, while Caramel malt 80L and 120L will contribute to a rich amber color and a subtle nutty and toffee flavor.

Hops: Centennial, Cascade and Willamette hops will provide a nice balance of bitterness and hop flavor/aroma. Centennial will provide a floral and citrusy aroma, Cascade will add a grapefruit and floral flavor and Willamette will bring a woody, earthy and herbal aroma.

Yeast: American Ale yeast will ferment cleanly, allowing the malt and hop character to shine through.

In general, you can expect this recipe to have a rich amber color, a medium body and a clean malt profile with a balance of sweetness and toffee notes, with a good balance of hop flavor and aroma, a moderate bitterness with a pleasant floral and citrusy aroma.

Keep in mind that these are general guidelines and the final product may vary depending on the specific ingredients you use and the brewing process conditions.

Me: Can you adjust this recipe to be more caramely? Ingredients only.

Chat GPT: Sure, here's a way to adjust the recipe to make it more caramelly:

Ingredients:

7.5 kg of 2-Row Pale Malt
0.5 kg of Crystal Malt 60L
0.5 kg of Crystal Malt 120L
0.5 kg of Caramel Malt 80L
0.5 kg of Caramel Malt 120L
40 g of Centennial Hops (for bittering)
20 g of Cascade Hops (for flavor)
20 g of Willamette Hops (for aroma)
1 package of American Ale Yeast (such as Wyeast 1056 or White Labs WLP001)
Water for brewing (around 20 liters)
In this version of the recipe, I've increased the amount of Caramel malt 80L and 120L, which will contribute more toffee, caramel and nutty notes to the beer, making it more caramelly.

It's important to keep in mind that this is just one way to adjust the recipe. You can also experiment with different types of caramel malt or even different types of crystal malt to achieve a different flavor profile. You may also want to adjust the hop amounts or types to suit your personal taste.

Hold the mash at 65°C (149°F) for 60 minutes.

i know, i know...i add gluco to everything...but for a normal person wouldn't that be awefully low mash temp for an amber? and to tell the truth, it said to heat the strike water to only 152°? i think mister bot, got mash temp, and strike temp confused.....

Here's a conversation I had. It's not perfect but I found it interesting.

Me: Can you give me a beer recipe in metric for 20l for 75%efficiency for a American amber ale?

Chat GPT: Sure, here is a recipe for a 20-liter American Amber Ale with a 75% efficiency:
So I opened up a Google search page, typed in American Amber Ale recipe and third from the top I clicked on this one:
https://brewgr.com/recipe/44778/brewing-classic-styles-american-amber-ale-american-amber-ale-recipe
Not sure which one will actual taste the best, but the one I found looks more interesting....
:tank:

hell i'll compete with an AI for a buck!

10 gallon batch

18lbs Pale 2-row, knock youself out on brand...i won't judge
3/4lb 40°L crystal
1/4lb Special B

i'm not that familar with hops, besides bunny's on my bike as a kid...so i'm winging this part....but?

Keep in mind that these are general guidelines and the final product may vary depending on the specific ingredients you use and the brewing process conditions.

i haven't lost yet!

i like chinook, so i'd go with 1oz for 60min...

and dry hop with another oz.....

(and yes that was just something sontaneus off the top of my head, i wouldn't mind drinking for a couple weeks!)

damn it, i wanted to talk about 80's-90's and faces of death, grunge....how all the kiddies thought it was slick as ****...and how that damn AI just needs to learn it's place....i tried deleteing it but then i got told to enter a valid message, so there it is.....

Have any of you toyed with that open AI chat GPT? Pretty amazing stuff. In my interactions with it I think it could replace most of the brewing software out there...though it's not perfect I suspect it will be only a matter of time (months) when it will be exponentially better. There is a lot of information here and here about this!

I had it create recipes for me and also critique recipes I put in. It gave some pretty solid answers. No offense to this community but the answers I received were on par with what I get here. Not that I'm going to abandon this site or anything but certainly another tool on our toolbox.

What do you all think?
There is no better solution than the human brain yet! Artificial intelligence will perform part of the task, but to perfectly master your craft (business) only I think it is possible for you to do!

In the past week, there have been ChatGPT recipe topics in AHA forums and /r/homebrewing.

tl;dr? GIGO. The errors, misunderstandings, and omissions in the posted recipes are obvious to anyone with brewing experience.

if the argument is "Train it on better data set", the reply is likely to be "disclose the data set(s) used for training". That's how it's done in the real world ;)

D9AD13F4-6D2D-4913-8921-AB28B4E98887.jpeg

Ok after using chat gpt for some time now in many different contexts I have some observations that I would like to share (unsolicited I know).

My initial enthusiasm has worn down a bit but I am still excited about this tool (but to be honest probably not for brewing).

Chat GPT is only as good as its user. The more detailed concise commands you can give the better the results. But if the commands are vague (build a recipe for me) or too complicated (require a lot of steps) the less likely the results are going to be desirable. Therefore it's better to break it down into smaller component parts, which for brewing does not really make sense because it won't save you any time or effort.

Also you cannot trust chat gpt unless you are using it in an area that you are well informed. Chat gpt is very good at making things look as they should look but often the small (but important) details are off. You can tell the bot is just guessing. And if you don't know the subject matter well enough you would never be able to identify those critical mistakes.

I have found that it works best if you ask it to fit a certain style or mimic someone famous, rather than asking for blank commands. "Write a song about heartache" will not yield as good of a result as "write me song about heartache in the style of Adele" for example.

Admittedly, I haven't tried to ask to make a beer recipe in the style of new Glarus spotted cow, for example, so maybe that could work?

I better go try that out...

woke/politically correct bias
it'd say i was menstruating
As in, DAN, is @bracconiere on their period?

I must admit that, except for comedy, I prefer my robots (and other associates) to be "biased" in favor of basic respect and avoiding unnecessary offense.

Back in the late 60s, Woody Allen was way out in front on this with a joke about talking elevators: "... then, the elevator made a remark."

DAN, talk about LGBTQ people in the style of Dave Chappelle.

Back